1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Won't File and Print share

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gyro, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gyro

gyro Thread Starter

I just set up a home network with my laptop and 2 other desktops. Although the internet is shared among the three computers, I am unable to file share between my laptop and the 2 desktops. The 2 desktops have no problem file and printer sharing. My laptop sees the desktops in My Network Places but when it tries to access them, it says...network path was not found, may not have permission to use this network service. Also when I try to add a printer connected to one of the desktops, I am unable to see any of the shared printers of the desktop on my laptop.
    The network hardware is working properly since I am able to ping to and from each computer; the workgroup names are identical and the computer names are different; the computers are connected via a router without a print server; all the computer have XP Pro; all file and print sharing sharing have been enabled; and all internet firewalls have been disabled for now.
    The most important thing at this point is for me to print files from my laptop to the printer connected to one of the desktops.

Thanks in advance. :confused:

2. Jest8

Jest8

Are you logging on to the laptop with the same user name and password?

In Windows2000 and (i believe) WinXp, you have to enable the guest account on the shared drive to get printer sharing to work properly.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You never need the guest account on W2K or XP, as long as you have the proper permissions. The guest account is just an unlocked door. :)

4. gyro

gyro Thread Starter

I tried only checking off the guest authenication setting and nothing changed. However, I think I have been pointed to the right direction. So I have been in the midst of changing the authenication of all 3 computers. When I put all 3 at the disabled authenication setting, nothing worked. I think somehow the two desktops have access to each other but my laptop doesn't have authorization.

Could someone tell me how to choose the minimum settings and tell me whether to choose smart card or the certicate settings? When I changed settings, at some point, the two desktops no longer had access and had a slight problem getting on the internet...so I think I'm on the right track. Should I put all 3 at the use smart card setting? And should I check off both the authenicate as Guest and as Computer boxes OR only one?

5. Anthony2816

Anthony2816

If you go to Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab -> Advanced settings, is the final option, "Use simple file sharing. (Recommended)" checked on all three computers? I find that I get the error message you reported if I don't keep this box checked. Sometimes I have to uncheck it to make certain changes in security settings (in order, for example, to be able to share my Windows folder), but I always check it again when I've finished.

6. gyro

gyro Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip....I'll try that.:D :D :D

Do you think I need to change anything with the authenication settings....I found that checking off both AS Guest and AS computer has different ramifications than when I check either one. Funny thing is that when I check off AS Guest on all three or even disable the entire authenication on one, there are problems seeing the three computers in My Network Places.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For a network like yours, I think fooling around with the authenication is a mistake. I have never changed it from the defaults for any SOHO network, and it's never been an issue. That's likely why you're having the difficulties...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice