1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wont fully boot....sometimes just powers off...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sage Cypher, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sage Cypher

Sage Cypher Thread Starter

I am using a HP Pavilion 734n, XP SP2, AMD Athlon. More if needed.

Anyways the problem is the other day I noticed my comp had rebooted itself. It was at the Windows login menu. So I clicked the owner and it started to load windows, then stopped. I saw the background, the icons, the taskbar, etc.... I figured it locked up, so I held the power button to turn it off then rebooted. Same scenario. Background icons etc.... So I tried once again this time I got the improper shutdown. So I tried safe mode, it got so far and stopped. Now it wont load past the same point in safe mode. It also wont load past pushing enter on the start Windows normally.

Also it now has a habit of just not powering at all. I looked in back and the led in was off. So I unplugged the power cord and plugged it back in the light came back on. I pushed power and it died again. I unplugged the cord again then plugged it back in and let it sit a bit, started up got to the menu to choose safe mode normal last restore etc... tried normal and it died while I waited. Now it may load the parts where it stops or it just dies.

Any ideas?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

What chord had come loose??

3. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

I had this type of fault a while ago on an old laptop where the connection between the power lead and the laptop connector was intermittant. I had to sort of charge it up while it was sat on the back edge then ran it of the battery.
    I would get a repair shop to check the incoming voltage at that point inside the lappy.

4. Sage Cypher

Reply 1: No cords came loose.

Reply2: Its a desktop.

5. Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

The psu may be heading for an early bath have you tried a different supply?

6. Sage Cypher

I've been thinking about it. But I've never swapped one out before, never encountered this problem. Thing is right now it is on just stuck locked when I tried to load safe mode. It sometimes powers down sometimes not.... Would it be alright to swap in my Dell Dimension 8200's PSU, or should I get one for my HP?

It suddenly stops sometimes the HDD led stays on or it stays off, either way its not working.

Also any other ideas I can try?

7. bonk

bonk Banned

The Dell PSU is propriety to Dell it won't work on HP

Power supplies aren't hard to change just get the right one for it....any reputable PC store will point you in the right direction if you tell them your specs of your PC

8. Sage Cypher

Hmm ok thanks I'll give it a try when I have time.

Also, any other things in case its not the supply?

9. bonk

bonk Banned

Try taking the power chord out and living it out over night and the try and plugging it back in and turning on....if not then I would seriously think about a PSU.

10. Sage Cypher

Yeah tomorrow is my day off so I'll get a PSU if that doesnt work.

11. bonk

bonk Banned

You got a day off.......nice for some.

12. Sage Cypher

Just a quick note I was trying some ideas from the HP website and noticed when I plugged the cord into the power supply it made a buzzing sound?

13. LockeL

LockeL

i had a problem somewhat like this. the psu wasnt giving enough power to the harddrives and they were spinning too slow and would lockup. Try using a different power chord or just trying a whole new psu.

14. python911

python911

PSU is probably on it's last legs. Head over HERE and follow the instructions to check the PSU is working. If you need any assistance understanding this, feel free to Privage Message me. Leave the PSU running for a while and watch to see if it stops working. Try getting another PSU into your machine and test it. It's most likely that your PSU is on it's last legs and isn't supplying enough voltage to the hard drives or CPU or any other component.

15. Sage Cypher

Makes sense that the PSU is going, I leave the comp on 24/7. Its also nearly 4 or 5 years old. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully the new PSU will be all I need.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/510023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice