1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wont let defrag 98se

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by boogey, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boogey

boogey Thread Starter

at a friemsa house they are running win 98se ..there system would crash all the time so i checked it with adaware spybot and spywaredoctor all together they came up with over 3000 yes 3 thousand probs.
    they have an hp pavillion with only 68mb ram they were running 2 antivirus prog. i killed one all this helped alot...i asked if they ever defraged it they said ....what? i tried to defrag but it goes for about a min. stops and saysthat there is aproblemand to go to help to try and fix it that dont work
    tried scandisk ...goes solong then freezes up...still more malware? dont know the speed of the computer at my own now would it help to post a hjt file?

thanx for any help great site help me many times!!!!!! and i mean many!!! boogey

2. golferbob

golferbob

try doing scan disk and defrag in safe mode ,it does a better job and is faster.if you still are getting a lot of spy ware download spyware blaster ,it keeps a lot out of the system

3. boogey

boogey Thread Starter

thanx will try later this evening let you know

boogey

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    HJT log would be nice

Also clear out the TEMP and TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES folders so the machine can have some more space to work with when you do Defragmentation.

SpywareBlaster - make sure you update it too when you install it.

5. Treasurerat

Treasurerat

worst case....format hd and reinstall os ....if still a problem in safe mode to run..sounds like their registry may be totally wacked out of orbit if it was that bad

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice