1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wont let me boot up after wipe

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by apples448, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apples448

apples448 Thread Starter

I used a DBAN wipe i downloaded on to a cd and after i wipe it it will just go back to the DBAN wipe menu and wen i try to take the disc out it tells me to insert a boot disk

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

If you wiped the HDD (which it sounds like what you performed), then you can no longer boot from the HDD. As the error states, insert a boot disk. As you have no OS, that would mean insert a bootable OS installation disc (ie: Windows XP, Vista, Win7, etc.).

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO SUE

When a drive is wiped its now empty of any operating system.You will have to reinstall whatever system was in there and have it boot from the cd or dvd.Wiping a drive is a drastic measure unless you are selling or giving away a computer and dont want anything sensitive left on there for the next person.

4. apples448

apples448 Thread Starter

i dont have a windows 7 boot disk but is there anyway i can download one online

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

What kind of computer do you have? Is it a brand name such as an HP or Dell? Did Windows 7 come pre-loaded on the computer? Do you have a sticker on the side of the computer with a Windows 7 License/Product Key and for what version?

6. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

You may still have a Restore or are Recovery partition on that hard drive. Google something like Recovery partition hp laptop or Acer laptop or Dell or.... you may luck out and find the simple keystrokes you need when you turn it on to activate the recovery process and reload you original OS.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

DBAN tends to wipe the whole drive. But in any case, we still need to know what computer we are working with.

8. pooveyhead

pooveyhead

Not after using DBAN. That drive is wiped to zeroes.

9. pooveyhead

pooveyhead

If you don't have the installation disks, you can download the OS .iso files here (http://en.community.dell.com/suppor...fficial-iso-download-links-digital-river.aspx), but you'll need to locate a valid product key in order to activate Windows after installation. This is often found on a Certificate of Authenticity sticker somewhere on the body of your computer or with the original installation disks. If you don't have that and don't want to pay for a new version of Windows, you can try Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com), which is a free Linux operating system.

10. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO SUE

You might be able to get recovery/restore disks for your model of computer for a small fee if its a dell, hp, acer, etc.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064523