1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Won't let me type

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sjr1938, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sjr1938

sjr1938 Thread Starter

My phone, Kindle Fire 7 will not allow me to type my password in. What can cause this to happen? On the phone I get a message that my IMAP server is not responding. Check my mail settings. My settings appear to me to be OK.

Thanks for any help!
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3981 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -2041 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 455 GB (394 GB Free);
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, ZBWAA
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated
    Chrome

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The IMAP server just may be down, wait a while and try again.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Say what?

You posted in the Windows 10 forum and supplied the system info utility results for a Toshiba laptop, but say your phone, a Kindle Fire 7, is having the problem. An Amazon Kindle Fire 7 is a tablet computer, not any kind of phone. It runs a modified version of the Android Operating system.
    Please clarify exactly what piece of hardware is having the password problem.

You say you are having a problem with entering the password and then talk about a mail service error message. Are you having difficulty entering a user password on your device's lock screen or the entering a user password for your email account?

4. sjr1938

sjr1938 Thread Starter

See the comma between phone and Kindle? That means they are two separate objects. Guess I should have said I can read email on my PC but not on phone or Fire.

Excuse me, I don't know what the "lock" screen is. Reading my post, even I"m confused. Let me see if I can straighten things out.

When I open gmail on my phone (doesn't require logging in) I get this message:

Cannot Get Mail
    The mail server "imap.gmail.com" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings.

Under Mail settings I find the following categories: Allow mail to access; message list; Messages; Threading, and Composing. I don't see anything applicable there. Is there another Mail Settings I'm not aware of?

It's the Fire that won't let me log in. When I click on the mail icon, it starts Checking Server Settings. Still checking after 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience :notworthy:

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you were able to receive Gmail on your phone at one time and have not made any changes in the email settings, I would agree with DaveA that the server may have been down for a short while.

Is your Kindle Fire tablet using the built-in mail app that came with the device or did you download and install a different email app? Were you able to connect to and use your Gmail account at one time and now you cannot, then the problem may be that the server is down for a while.

There may be some other problem if you are not able to access your email using either device for a long period of time. If this is the case, is your phone attempting to connect to Gmail using its cellular data connection or using the same WiFi access point as the tablet?

Is your laptop able to use Gmail via IMAP at the same time the tablet is unable to do so? If they are both unable to do so, log into your Gmail account using a web browser and make sure that IMAP access is enabled in your account settings.

FYI, a lock screen is what you get when you try to use a device that requires entering a password when first turned on or is awakened from being idle for a while. In the case of Amazon products, the lock screen may be advertising something and has a small padlock icon at the bottom. Swiping the icon displays the password entry screen and touch keyboard.

I don't recall ever seeing a comma replace the word "and" for a list of only two items in a sentence. It usually separates the items in a list of three items or more.

6. sjr1938

sjr1938 Thread Starter

Well, thank you for that lesson. You are right, I should have used "and."

Unfortunately, much of what you have said is completely over my head. I have been using computers since 1982 but it is amazing how much I still have not learned. I'm afraid I will have to look elsewhere for help.Maybe Apple can help.

For you and Dave, this has been going on for a week. Can a server be down for that long?

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Well, ALL Gmail and other email providers REQUIRE for one to log in. It appears that your phone has been set up to remember the account and password.

BUT, for some reason the remembering has things wrong, as the error message states "entered the correct account info in Mail settings"

Since both are having issues, I would also think that the mail server just may be down at that time.

How do you access your email on your PC?

8. sjr1938

sjr1938 Thread Starter

My gmail is set to open automatically in settings -- my private tech guy fixed it to bypass login.

I can't believe the server is down this long and why can I still see mail on my PC. Don't they both use the same server?

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Is your PC's email software using POP3 or IMAP? Is it showing any new incoming messages since the problem started on the other devices?

10. sjr1938

sjr1938 Thread Starter

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice