1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

won't post...long beep...I think it's a memory problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nooyawkah, Jan 7, 2003.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nooyawkah

nooyawkah Guest Thread Starter

I did somehing stupid (so what else is new) and I have no intention of telling the memory manufacturer what I did.

I have a KD7 mobo (Phoenix Award Bios) and 512 PC2100 RAM. The stupid thing I did was buy a memory cooler at CompUSA on impulse. If you've never seen one it's 2 metal pieces with some kind of heatsink that fit on each side of the stick. They attach with 2 way tape and one side had an additional strip of thermal tape. Then you use 2 clips to hold the thing together and snap it in the usual memory slot.

The trouble was I couldn't get it to fit; even removed the video card for extra work room. I guess it wasn't in tightly enough, no matter how many times I tried to reseat it. Each time I got one long beep, pause, one long beep, pause, etc. and no post. Then I removed the cooler from the memory stick but the result was the same. Maybe I slightly bent it, maybe I messed it up by touching it away from the edges. I really don't know.

Is this beep code a memory error? Is there any way to deal with it short of replacing it? Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Party Boy

Party Boy

Beep code details can be found at

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

but if it is one beep repeated ad infinitum then the chances are it's RAM, if reseating it doesn't do the trick then the RAM or the DIMM slot has gone, try the RAM in another slot and see how that goes. If it still fails to post then the RAM has gone, examine the copper contacts along the edge see if any have burnt out if they have then you've probably voided your warranty. If the RAM is still unmarked then you stand a good chance of getting it replaced under warranty

3. nooyawkah

The vendor has agreed to replace the memory. :D :D :D

4. Party Boy

Party Boy

Lucky man! :)

5. nooyawkah

Lucky in love as well (at least the 2nd time). Who could ask for more?

6. Party Boy

Party Boy

A big pastrami sandwich and life would be complete ;)

7. nooyawkah

A big pastrami sandwich and life would be complete

Now you've gone and unleashed one of my pasions. The doctor has, and rightly so, limited this exercise to twice a year max. It seems I sometimes get the overwhelming urge for a pastrami, chopped liver and onion sandwich on rye from the Second Avenue Deli in NYC. (Don't knock it tii you've tried it).
    Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge. :D

8. Party Boy

Party Boy

Eep is Pastrami that bad for you? I have it every day in my packed lunches at work! minus the copped liver and onion - you're sick!! :p

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice