Won't read some DVD's

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SlickStretch

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an HP Pavilion dv7-1232nr laptop. My DVD drive is an "Optiarc DVD RW AD-7581S ATA Device" (So claims the device manager.)

My problem is that it won't read some DVD's while others work fine. For example; I put in the movie RV, and there's no problem. Everything works as it should. I put in the movie Down to Earth, and nothing. I open Computer and the green loading bar is very slowly filling up. I can hear the drive speeding up and slowing down dramatically. If I try to do anything with the DVD drive in windows explorer at this point, explorer usually crashes. DVD Decrypter says "Logical unit is in process of becoming ready." After a while (Usually 3-5 minutes) of this, clicking on the drive in Computer brings up a dialog saying "Please insert a disc..."

I also get this same problem with some writable dual-layer discs.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers for the DVD drive and the ATA channel the drive is on, and no change.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online