1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Won't read some DVD's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SlickStretch, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SlickStretch

SlickStretch Thread Starter

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an HP Pavilion dv7-1232nr laptop. My DVD drive is an "Optiarc DVD RW AD-7581S ATA Device" (So claims the device manager.)

My problem is that it won't read some DVD's while others work fine. For example; I put in the movie RV, and there's no problem. Everything works as it should. I put in the movie Down to Earth, and nothing. I open Computer and the green loading bar is very slowly filling up. I can hear the drive speeding up and slowing down dramatically. If I try to do anything with the DVD drive in windows explorer at this point, explorer usually crashes. DVD Decrypter says "Logical unit is in process of becoming ready." After a while (Usually 3-5 minutes) of this, clicking on the drive in Computer brings up a dialog saying "Please insert a disc..."

I also get this same problem with some writable dual-layer discs.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers for the DVD drive and the ATA channel the drive is on, and no change.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Have you tried those DVd discs in another PC?

3. SlickStretch

SlickStretch Thread Starter

Yes. They all read perfectly fine on my mom's Dell Inspiron, and my Xbox 360.

4. Megabite

Megabite

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969393

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice