1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Won't recognize CD drive now...help?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by merceemay, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. merceemay

merceemay Thread Starter

Hello, I hope someone can help me with this tiny problem. lol I have a Sony VGN-N300 with Vista. I have only had this computer for about a month and suddenly I can't use the CD-ROM drive. In Windows Explorer it calls it the 'Memory Stick D:'? We could swear it was something else before. lol If we put a disk in it looks to start formating without asking and the green bar goes almost to the end and never finishes. Sorry I didn't get a copy of an error message. I would have to go back to all that diagnostics stuff and I would probably get lost. lol

We looked into the diagnostics that are on the computer and it mentioned that the CDROM.SYS is corrupt. I tried to find it on the Sony site and they don't even have my model number listed. We tried the windows restore back to when I used the CDROM and it didn't help. The store where we bought the computer is about 70 miles. lol We live in the boonies. So, looking for help before driving back for help. We have already been back there twice with the first one we bought and they finally exchanged it for a new one. Not too sure I like laptops that much now. lol Thank you for any help.

Lynn in Oklahoma

2. waggy19

waggy19

Hi merceemay,
    Something you could try would be to go into the device manager to see if the drivers are corrupt, you say you have had the unit for a month so i assume you still have the drivers and utilities cd. Click the plus to the left of the cd rom and right click on the drive which is at fault and uninstall it. It's possible the driver is missing or corrupt. restart the system and get back to me with the results. The problem dosen't seem too great.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try System Restore.

4. earld2

earld2

Try this: go into device manager and uninstall the offending drive, shut down computer (don't jusy restart) restart computer; during boot see if the drive is noted, after Vista restarts see if the drive is working. If this doesn't help, do it again but disconnect the drive from the motherboard when shut down, reboot, shut down, reconnect drive, reboot. Ther is an article on the web about how to restore CD drives, I'll see if I can find.

5. waggy19

waggy19

dont attempt to open the unit!!! It will invalidate your warranty...

6. earld2

earld2

On my lap-top the CD just ejects for replacement, no need to open the computer case.

7. Cheryl

Cheryl

I had the same thing happen to my brand new Dell laptop and in fact my computer didn't even recognize the CD drive. When I first got the computer it worked great.

I called Dell and they had me:
    "Something you could try would be to go into the device manager to see if the drivers are corrupt, you say you have had the unit for a month so i assume you still have the drivers and utilities cd. Click the plus to the left of the cd rom and right click on the drive which is at fault and uninstall it. It's possible the driver is missing or corrupt. restart the system and get back to me with the results. The problem dosen't seem too great."

Now is works fine!

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Dave Trusted Advisor

I have often to delete my optical drives and let Vista find them again.
    Vista does seem to be very fragile when it comes to Optical drives.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the CD/DVD appears in Device Manager with an error code associated with it, try the following solution. This works for XP and Vista.

Download CDgone, right click on the downloaded file and choose Extract All, then double-click on cdgone.reg Say "Yes" to the merge question and then reboot. See if the drives have returned. You may have to re-install CD burning applications, since they're the ones that tinker with the filter setting in the registry that caused the drives to disappear.

10. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Dave Trusted Advisor

Mine don't disappear, they just refuse to recognise CDs/DVDs and want to format them

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/631581