1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Won't Recognize Disk Drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Valentine1, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Valentine1

Valentine1 Thread Starter

My husband's computer will NOT recognize his DVD drive nor another disk drive. It recognizes his A (floppy) drive. Consequently we can't try to reinstall anything to try and fix the problem. He's running Windows XP. Help.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you can no longer access your CD ROM's, the following registry keys need to be deleted:

Locate and delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters values under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

and possibly:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr

There is a reg file you can download and run to do all that automatically:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/cd_restore.reg

3. Valentine1

Bob: I ran the file you suggested but they still don't show up in 'my computer' nor will a disk put the drive work.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Does the CD ROM show up in the computer's BIOS?

If you boot with something like a Win98 floppy, can you access the drives.

This wil help determine if the problem is with Windows or the CD ROM drive itself.

5. Valentine1

I'm sorry. I don't know how to check in the computer's BIOS...

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Typically when you start the computer, before Windows starts loading, you have an option to press a key to get to the BIOS. Sometimes this shows on the screen as "Setup".

Common keys are F2, Del, and ESC.

7. Valentine1

Bob: We have the drives back! After I restarted the computer they appeared. THANK YOU.
    Now, another problem remains: when my husband tries to do a Windows Update or a Microsoft Update it attempts to go to the site but never comes up. He can access the Internet but these updates do not load. What's THAT about?

8. Valentine1

Asking again. Someone help. My husband can access the Internet just fine but no link to Microsoft Update or Windows Update will load. What could be the problem?

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What message if any is displayed on the screen.

10. Valentine1

No message appears. It's a blank white screen with the hour glass cursor appearing like it does when opening a new screen. The windows update address appears in the url box like it's going to load but it never does. Even going to the Microsoft web-site and clicking the update link from there bring the same results.

11. Valentine1

No message appears. The hourglass cursor looks like it's trying to load the web-site but never does. The Microsoft Update address appears in the URL but doesn't load. Even going to the Microsoft web-site and clicking on the update link produces the same results.

12. Valentine1

What would cause PDF files not to print? We can print out other documents but when trying to print a pdf file the printer goes through the motions but does not print.

13. bbearren

bbearren

First, go to Start > Run and type cmd then click OK. At the command prompt type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. You will be asked if you want chkdsk to run on the next boot. Type y and hit Enter. Type exit and hit Enter. Restart the computer.

After chkdsk has run, open another command prompt and type sfc /scannow
    Have your installation CD handy in case it asks you to insert it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!