1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

won't recognize printer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by markgrieco, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markgrieco

markgrieco Thread Starter

I just re-formatted my hard drive and upgraded my OS to Windows XP Home Edition, and cannot get it to recognize my printer (an Epson Stylus color 1160). The cotrol panel shows everything properly installed. The printer is connected via USB cable and I know the connection is fine because one of the installation wizards was able to print a test page. I have been through all the troubleshooters, have installed all available drivers several times. It seems the computer thinks the printer is there, but nothing happens at the printer, and I get an error message. PLEASE HELP!

2. $teve

$teve

welcome to T.S.G mark:)

have you tried un-installing the printer and installing the drivers 1st,then let windows detect and re-install both.
    thats what i had to do with my 830 colour.

3. markgrieco

Okay, I tried that and came to exactly the same result.

4. $teve

$teve

ok so your printer looks fine in the control panel/system/hardware section and the drivers are all ok`d
    but the beast wont print when its told?
    you have checked all connections,is it connected via usb?
    is there any way you can check it on another system?

and what is the exact error message?

5. markgrieco

Yes it is connected by USB cable, no, there is no other system to try it on, and there is no error message unless I go to the printer via the control panel. The computer just goes along as if nothing happened.

6. jletcher

jletcher

Mark, I have had an intermitent but similar printer problem with a USB connection. If you uninstall the printer and all the drivers that came with it, and then let XP find it again, it should help. Myr problem is that the first time you try to print something, you get an error message that the printer connected is not the right printer or that there is an error communicating with the printer. However, if you hit "retry" or just print again, it works. I know it has to be the driver, but I have installed the latest updates from Lexmark and it keeps doing. My personal conclusion is that it has something to do with the USB connection-if I were having the problem you are, I would try the old fashioned connection, if you have a cable, and see what happens.

7. Mollie

Mollie

It would be easier to help if you could post the exact error message. :) If you don't know it, recreate the error and write it down.

Also, before you re-install the printer drivers again make sure you UNinstall them first, and then reboot your computer, even if it doesn't say it needs rebooting. One other thing - have you tried just completely uninstalling all the Epson drivers, and letting Windows find it and install its drivers on its own? The drivers for Epson Stylus Color 1160 are included with XP, and possibly may not need any other drivers. It might be worth a shot.

Mollie
    _ _ _
    "It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have learned English - up to fifty words used in correct context - no human being has been reported to have learned dolphinese." Carl Sagan

8. markgrieco

Jletcher and Mollie, I have tried all these things. Windows did not detect the printer any time I've tried to install it, and I have uninstalled everything and tried several times. I get no error message window, only when I check the printer status does it say there was an error in printing.

9. bballjer44

bballjer44

I encounterred a problem of printers going away after installing xp service pack1. This also happened with win 2000 service pack 1. I don't see the printers and cannot print from operating system apps, i.e Outlook, notepad etc. Can print from Word, even though control panel doesn't show printers. Only solution I found was to re-install win xp and not apply the service pack.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice