1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

won't restart using restart icon

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by williamsabode, Feb 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. williamsabode

williamsabode Thread Starter

I'm using windows 2000 pro on a new system format/build after my old motherboard went bad.
    It's working except when I go to the start /shutdown/restart
    tab it justs goes to a black screen and sits there permanently!
    I tried a repair on the OS thinkin that was the problem but with no effect. If I select start or shutdown it just goes to a black screen with 1 little blinking cursorin the top left corner and all the power is still on (fan running) and all .I just have never seen this before!

Any HELP/Suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Note: I have done a couple of tweaks in the registry since installing everything but I'm not sure if this is related but the 1
    tweak was something to do with timeout settings on program
    hangs I believe!

It will shutdown using the start/shutdown/restart in safemode !

I've also tried creating the shortcut on my desktop(new/shortcut/shutdown /r) but it says shutdown file not found !

2. =Phant0M=

=Phant0M=

try re-starting through task manager. if it dows not work through that then you have a problem with your OS. open task manager, select shutdown then select the "restart" option.

3. Pavan

Pavan

Hi william
    Try this out.
    Right click on Desktop and select New and then select Shortcut.
    Type in there,
    shutdown /r (space between shutdown and the slash)and then click on next.type the name of the shortcut as "Restart".
    now the restart icon wil be placed on the desktop.double click that icon and do let us know what happens.

All the Best
    Pavan

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!