1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wont Show any net works available!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wccjester, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wccjester

wccjester Thread Starter

hey well i just bought my laptop probably a month ago, I never hooked it up wirelesly because i hooked it straight to the modem. well i recently got a wireless router so that me and my other marine friends can split the signal...
    now when i click on my net works for wireless it never shows antyhing and just says no net works are available... I tried troubleshooting it but no problems come back...

the thing that bugs ME is that my router and set up are hooked up correctly because everyone else gets on and i even get on with my ipod touch... im close enough to the router to that it should show up but doesnt... i looked at system devices at my wireless adapter and it says its running properly... im all out of things to try and idk what to do...

any help will greatly make me feel better!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Toshiba laptop? Trying to use the integrated wireless adapter? If so, is it switched on?

3. wccjester

wccjester Thread Starter

Yes the switch Is ON. And yes it's a toshiba

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think I remember one case where a firewall was preventing wireless networks from being detected. What non-Windows firewall or security suite do you have on the machine. It will probable have to be configured or uninstalled if you have one.

5. wccjester

wccjester Thread Starter

I just turned all the firewalls off but to no avail.. =[

i just have the normal firewall that came on the machine... when i first got it im pretty sure i could see the network signals from the rooms around me ....

This really sucks... i feel wired down!

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The Windows firewall will not cause a problem. No need to turn it off.

You sure the machine didn't come with Norton or McAfee or something like that installed by your friendly manufacturer or retailer?

Oh, and I didn't say "turn off" because "turn off" or "disable" often does no good.

7. Bernardo

Bernardo

"From the rooms around you" --- what does that mean?

8. wccjester

wccjester Thread Starter

oh well it did come with norton but i believe i deleted it because it was a trial

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    step 1: Realize you have Norton. Done

step 2: Uninstall Norton. Done?

step 3: Run Symantec's Norton Removal Tool.

step 4: If still have networking issues run the repairs (I'm making an assumption about OS) ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

10. wccjester

wccjester Thread Starter

i did both of those things and still nothing changed... it sucks kinda like grr.... haha this shouldnt be doing this!

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wireless adapter appears to be dead.

12. wccjester

wccjester Thread Starter

Ya probably.. well i fixed the problem.. full system restart.... it works now..... i guess its good that i bought this comp not to long ago so i didnt have to much time to gather all kinds of media... anyways ... thanks so much for your help on the subject its much appriciated.

13. Bernardo

Bernardo

Reboot was mentioned above.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice