1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wont shut down, wont wake up if asleep, and problem with updates URGENT!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by LibbyLou, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LibbyLou

LibbyLou Thread Starter

Ok so I have a HP Mini 110 and lately my computer has been acting strange. It wont shut down. If I try to shut it down it will act like its shutting down then re boot back up. If it goes to "sleep" (the buttons are still lit, typically the power button will just flash on and off) it wont wake up unless I use the power button.

Now this all started happening when my computer stopped or failed to update my language packs which took 28 hours to fully finish. Only 14 out of the 32 downloaded ok fine so i shut it down to just finish those that were installed. Ok so shutting down then the whole "Dont turn off your computer installing updates" then it gets stuck at 15 % then it goes to a black screen that i think said something like "initiating updates in 0 outta 321472 files" this took a good hour to finish. Then brought me back to the 15% screen then that changed to "Updates Failed" and something else, then the computer restarted.

WHAT DO I DO?? could it possibly be a virus???:mad:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My goodness, "multi-lingual" doesn't begin to describe you! You can speak, or at least read, all those languages?!

I suggest a System Restore to before you started those updates. And then I suggest to try updating only a few at a time. I further suggest to begin with those that are most important to you, just in case Windows can't handle all of them installed at one time.

I wonder if Microsoft even tested with more than about a half dozen language packs at a time.

3. LibbyLou

LibbyLou Thread Starter

:D I dont need all of the languages, but they ALL came with the update. Ill try the system restore then get back to you :]

4. LibbyLou

LibbyLou Thread Starter

Hi the system restore will not restore anything before yesterday i need to restore it to like a week ago, because this problem is about a week old.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Control Panel - Programs and Features - View installed updates - Uninstall any Language packages you are not going to use.

Set the Windows update (at least temporarily) to notify you when updates are ready, but don't download or install them until you say OK. Then go to Windows Update and hide all those unneeded language packs. That way you shouldn't be bothered by them again. Then you can change the Windows Update to however you like it (I keep mine as above, as I always like to take a quick look at the offerings before accepting).

I don't know if this will restore the computer to sanity, but it's worth doing I think.

6. LibbyLou

LibbyLou Thread Starter

It doesnt list any language packs :/
    what could be the reasoning for my problem other then updating (if any at all)

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did any updates get installed on the dates of concern?

I don't have any real feel for what is causing the problems. There could be various factors. Possible malware infection I suppose.

The failure to power down is sometimes caused by an application that refuses to quit. Try, if you don't already do this, exiting from all open applications before the shutdown.

8. LibbyLou

LibbyLou Thread Starter

Hmm I am starting to think that it could be a malware thing possibly, my MSE picked up a WIN32 virus today.. :/ delt with it before but should I maybe post a log from hijack this for you to analyze?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No. I'm no good at that.

Read the first sticky in the Virus & Other Malware Removal forum for instructions and then start a new thread there. You can post a link to this thread for background information.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/944681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice