1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Won't start up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crispyo, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crispyo

crispyo Thread Starter

I have a Lenovo laptop with Vista. When I last used it it suddenly froze (which doesn't happen often) so I had to power it on and off, but now it won't start up. It gets to the green 'loading...' bar, then after that the monitor turns off and it does nothing. The two lights stay on though. I can get in on safe mode, but can't think of any solution to do using that. I've researched this problem and tried a few things (like leave off for a while, take out battery, hold the power button) none of that has worked. And I can't do a system restore for some reason, says I never made a backup point, or whatever. Before formatting, any other solutions?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you tried System Restore in Safe Mode?

3. jitenkm

jitenkm

sudden freezing can be because of a HDD failure - i too had similar problems in the past but those were with my desktop .
    !st try system restore -- if it doesn't work try formatting the partition

4. crispyo

crispyo Thread Starter

i think it was something serious like a hdd failure. i decided to leave it overnight, and it actually worked, it loaded up in my normal vista, but still a problem. it was going really slow and now it crashes on me at random times. i decided to do a format, and yeah it crashed during that. while it's wiped out my hdd, i can still access rescue and recovery, so i'm doing another one as we speak. it's probably been burnt out inside so this won't make a difference. oh well trying anyway.

5. sacatech

sacatech

It can be a problem due to hardware or might be due to virus. You need to check yourself and if you can't solve, get it done from computer repair technician...

6. jitenkm

jitenkm

i am almost sure its a HDD failure - 1st thing boot if you can in safe mode/normally and back up your data-- HDD will have a long warranty -around 5 years ,so you can get it replaced

7. crispyo

crispyo Thread Starter

really? my normal warranty expired a year ago, how do i know about this hdd warranty?

8. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Failing HDDs usually make some sort of clicking noise (check youtube for examples ;))...I'm not sure if a laptop's drive "clicking" is as audible as a desktop's but I think it's worth checking...

Now, since it's a laptop we're talking about, are you sure it isn't overheating? Since you can't boot windows atm, try checking the processor temperature via the BIOS temperature monitor.

And to be honest, I don't know of many HDDs that are under warranty for more than a couple of years maximum. Some companies sell their drives with 5 years warranties but this is usually the case for higher end drives (like the Western Digital Caviar Black series etc).

9. crispyo

crispyo Thread Starter

k... i put my fan on full blow at the vent and managed to do a format, so it must be the heat. i also noticed its been getting really hot and going slow lately. so would just cleaning it out help? any tips?

and how can i check the processor temperature? can't find any bios temperature monitor.

10. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

I take it that you managed to get Windows running, right? In that case forget about the BIOS, just download an application that's capable of reading the temperature sensors of your computer. This will work:

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Just run HWMonitor and you will be able to find all the necessary info (temperatures, fan speed etc). Then put your machine under some serious load (run a heavy application for a while - for example a game - or just run some youtube videos) and after a while check the temperatures.

If it's possible post a screenshot of HWMonitor and your system specifications (if you don't know the details like CPU model etc just post the model of your laptop ;)).

11. jitenkm

jitenkm

which brand is your HDD? try running some tools to find out (if not mentioned in your laptop manual)...
    btw seagate gives 5 years warranty for drives ..status can be seen online

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In most cases the drives that ship with a name brand system, desktop or laptop, have only the 1 year warranty provided through the builders warranty of the system(ie. Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc) and not the regular/full warranty that you would get if you were to buy an OEM or retail drive from a store.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice