Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

won't wake from standby

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jmrovner 
#1 ·
yes, another question on this common topic. i searched the archives, but couldn't find a topic that was exactly like mine/supplied an answer.

i have winxp pro. standby works fine if comp is in standby for a few minutes, but won't wake up after 30 min. or so. no response at all. no h.d., no monitor, etc. i have to shut off and reboot.

all power management settings are set to 'never', except for the "computer sleep" button (which is actually on the keyboard) which is set to 'standby'. in the bios the only power management setting is what to do in the event of power failure: either 'stay off' or 'reboot'. i have had it set to 'stay off'.

so, any ideas why standby won't awaken after extended time?

thanks.

#4 ·
the point is to save power, reduce heat output, and not have to listen to the loud hp fan if i am not using it. standby allows almost instantaneous awakening. if it works.

hibernation flashes something (i am guessing a 'preparing to hibernate" message). then does nothing. doesn't turn off. i am guessing that i have to turn computer off through the shut down process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.