1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wont wake up after hibernation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ksc, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ksc

ksc Thread Starter

Got an Inspiron 6000, XP home sp2. When I let the battery run down (or whatever) and the puter hibernates it won't wake up and keep the files that were still open. I basically have to reboot it and find that everything is gone. Yes, I have low battery alarms set, but sometimes I underestimate the time it takes to get plugged back up.

Is this a hardware problem? Puter is still under warranty.

Is this a Windows problem?

I just need some general direction, don't know where to begin w/tech support if it is a hardware problem.

Thanks!

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Are you saying that you keep using it until the battery is flat and shuts down from alck of power...or as you say hibernates and when you get the main power back on or restart it you files are gone that you were using?

You can go to Control Panel under power Management and set the alarm to warn you way before it gets that low....if it gets so low then your files won't be saved

3. ksc

ksc Thread Starter

yes and yes. There have been times when i've used it till it shuts down b/c the battery is completely (or almost) drained. And then there are times when I put it into hibernation INTENTIONALLY and it doesnt' recover the files.

i do have the power settings set to alarm at 3%.

on another Inspiron 6000, that I occasionally use, I am able to go into hibernation and the files i left open are still there.

they behave differently and I dont' know why.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

I would say there is a better battery on the other one and I would try and set it up to more than 3% on alarm......and see how it goes.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/460937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice