1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Woops..? Laptop can't charge...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xRETRO, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xRETRO

xRETRO Thread Starter

Last night, I sort of dropped my laptop. -_-
    It was on a lap desk and it... slid off when I bent down to pick up something.
    It hit the door on it's way to the floor and now it has a chip in it.
    No big deal, right?
    Well, after further inspection, I found that the lights on the front said it wasn't charging but it was plugged in.
    So I unplugged it and checked it out.
    The first problem was the plug being bent.
    The second, the little thing-y (I'm obviously tech-challenged, my 'lingo' sucks) inside the laptop where you plug it in is loose.
    Really loose.
    So loose, I can hardly see it, it's so far sideways.
    My laptop is only four - five months old, so it's still under warranty in case I need to take it in. (Well, duh, I probably do).

What do I do? Or better, what's exactly is wrong?

Not that it's important, but I'm a total klutz.
    I hit my cousin on the head with a Frisbee (he's five), broke my laptop and dropped my TV all in one day. Ugh.
    I also don't know if this is the right category for my question(s).

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi xRETRO, and welcome to TSG.

It sounds like the the power plug may have been shoved sideways or into the computer during the fall. That caused the internal mating socket to be damaged or break away from the motherboard. You may be looking at a motherboard replacement.

I have some bad news. Unless you purchased some kind extended "covers everything" service plan for your laptop, you may find yourself paying for repair or replacement of the computer. Typical manufacturer's warranties do not cover damage due to user negligence or abuse.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice