1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2000 - Can you number pages 1,1,2,2, etc?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Diane Herron, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Diane Herron

Diane Herron Thread Starter

Is there such a thing as numbering pages in a Word document with 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, etc. Reason -- Instructor's directions on left side and student's manual on right side. In other words, I would like to have the instructor's directions correspond with each page of the student's manual.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for any help!

2. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

I explored Word 2000 and couldn't come up with a solution for you. It seems to me that, if you have your book organized so that the instructor's notes are on the LEFT page and the student's instructions are on the RIGHT page, the page numbers shouldn't matter. What am I missing here?

Maybe someone else will be able to find you a solution.
    :confused:

3. Diane Herron

I understand what you mean. The reason we would want it that way is so the instructor can refer the student to the page they would need to be on yet the instructor needs their notes on the left side of the student's page. The alternative would be to just have the student's pages on the right side to be numbered. Can that be done? Thus leaving the instructor's notes pages unnumbered.

Thanks for your help!

4. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

I looked for that option while I was messing with it, but couldn't find a way to skip pages in the numbering. But look at it this way: If you start numbering from the first page, and assuming that the EVEN numbers are on the LEFT (instructor's side) and th ODD numbers are on the RIGHT (student's side), then it should be easy enough for the instructor to tell the student which page to use. I.e., the instructor is on page 22 and the student would HAVE to be on page 23. Does that work for you?

5. jbcalg

jbcalg

assuming that the students do NOT also have the instructors directions
    - why not create them as 2 documents and collate the instructors directions pages into the instructor version

ie
    students get student manual
    instructors get instructor directions plus student manual collated

(i'd put the page numbering on the left side of the instructor's directions pages so when it's open they can see the page numbers on the external corners rather than the internal ones - but that's just me ;))

otherwise you'd have to do a LOT of fooling around with section breaks and numbering etc - probably not worth it

6. Diane Herron

Thanks! That's an idea.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice