word 2000 default values

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hmr516

When I open a new document in Word 2000, I would like to make the following the defaults, so that they apply to all new documents. None of them are defaults now:

1. When I start a new document, I would like the view to be a Normal View.

2. When I start a document, I would like it to be justified, so that I have straight margins on both the left and right sides.

3. I would like to know how to get rid of the annoying popup that asks me if I want help with a letter, everytime I try to write someone a letter.

Any help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Please reply to hmr516@aol.com. Thank you.

Anne Troy

Anne
Go to Tools-Options, File locations tab. Note the location of "user templates". Close all Word files (not Word, tho), and hit File-Open, change the files of types to Document templates, browse to the folder that was located in the File locations tab for user templates and open the file called normal. Go to View-Normal. Go to File-Page setup and change the margins to whatever you want them to be for any new document and hit Ok. Hit Ctrl-a and hit Format-Paragraph and change the alignment to justified, hit Ok. Save the file, close it. Hit the new document button to test it. Normal.dot is the default template for new Word documents. Any changes you make to it will occur in every new document you create.

To get rid of the Office Assistant, hit the Help dropdown menu and choose "Hide the Office Assistant". Or, when he pops up, hit his Option button and uncheck "Use the Office Assistant". This is also an option you can uninstall in the control panel under Add/Remove programs, choosing Microsoft Office. You'll have to go to Tools (I think) and uncheck him.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online