1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2000 font

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by avonar, Jul 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. avonar

avonar Thread Starter

I have Windows '98 and have a question regarding a saved document in Word 2000 (Microsoft Office 2000)--I recently had my system upgraded and a new, larger hard drive installed. This new drive eliminated the other 2 drives I had, so now everything is on one drive. When my tech transferred all the files over, everything went well. All the files open, edit, and close just fine. But there is one document I created years ago that I use for my business that is showing up in the "symbol" font. I have tried selecting all and changing it, but when I do everything appears as a little square! The size will change, but the only letters remotely legible are when it's put on "symbol". I emailed a copy to my tech and she couldn't figure it out. All of my Publisher documents as well as the rest of my Word documents are fine. I don't know what else to do and can't imagine trying to decipher this out enough to retype it. Any ideas? Thanks! avonar

2. rkselby98

rkselby98

When you open it, Open it with "Files of type" at bottom of the window where you chose the file you want to open. Use the "Recover Text From any File" as the type.

This should open it but you will probably lose your formatting. Then you should be able to change the fonts.

3. avonar

avonar Thread Starter

OK, I tried this and it changed my document so that it just says a lot of weird things like "Normal Normal Default Paragraph Font (my name)QC:\WINDOWS\Application data\Microsoft\Word\Auto Recovery save of Location List.asd" It just repeats this kind of wording over and over along with others and even has my husband's name in there! And, somehow, it doesn't show any of my other information. It's like it replaced my whole document with this new stuff. Have I lost my original info completely? I don't remember it asking me if I wanted to save any changes, but it must have because I can't recover my original document. Is there any hope for this? None of my other Word documents were affected. Thanks--

4. rkselby98

rkselby98

Sorry it didn't work. The information your getting now is from opening in with "Recover Text from any File". Go back and open it as a doc. and that information you see now will dissappear.

Just hang in here someone will come by with a suggestion, this is the best forum I have seen.

5. avonar

avonar Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice--I tired it, but it didn't recover my paper. Is it possible to go back and recover a document in it's original form after changes have been saved? I went back and tried to view it as a "doc." type file and it still shows all the "normal normal page default..." stuff--none of my original document is shown anywhere. When I closed it after I tried opening it with the "recover text from any file" I chose "yes" to save the changes (duh) and shouldn't have. I think I really goofed this time. At this point I'd just be glad to see the garbled symbol stuff I started with. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks, Angie

6. rkselby98

rkselby98

If you didn't save it with a new name or type I have my doubts if you can recover it. Check to see if it might be saved by another type. In the file type try using "all files" and see if it shows up with another extension, maybe .doc .rtf, it might still be there just with an extension your not looking for.

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    avonar: If you like, I will make my best attempt at getting any info out of it. Email to [email protected]

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/47965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice