Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

word 2000 forms and links

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Anne Troy 
#1 ·
i am making a 50-page document with lots of forms in it. i made a nice little table of contents that links to each page to make navigation easy (and "back to table of contents" on each page), BUT when i lock the forms i lose the ability to click on links! i noticed that the scroll-by-whole-page is disabled as well. i went to dreamboat's word page and learned a few new things about forms, but didn't see this particular problem addressed. can anybody help me?
thanks,
melias

#2 ·
I know it is 50 pages worth, but instead of using ordinary links, have a link, but make it a field code so that when you protect the form, the field code can still be used. Word XP says this in help:

Field codes: Hyperlink field
{ HYPERLINK "FileName" [Switches ] }

A hyperlink is a "hot spot" that allows you to jump to another location. The location can include another file on your hard disk or company's network (such as a Microsoft Word document or a Microsoft Excel worksheet), an Internet address (such as http://www.microsoft.com), or a location such as a bookmark or slide. The field includes display text, which is often blue and underlined, that the user clicks to jump to the specified location. You can insert hyperlinks by clicking the Hyperlink command on the Insert menu.

Instructions

"FileName"
The destination you want to jump to. If the location includes a long file name with spaces, enclose it in quotation marks. Replace single backslashes with double backslashes to specify the path, for example:
"C:\\My Documents\\Manual.doc"

For Internet addresses, include the protocol and the same syntax as the URL, for example:

"http://www.microsoft.com/ie/msie.htm"

and "mailto:someone@microsoft.com".

Switches

\l
Specifies a location in the file, such as a bookmark, where this hyperlink will jump.

\m
Appends coordinates to a hyperlink for a server-side image map.

\n
Causes the destination site to be opened in a new window.

\o
Specifies the ScreenTip text for the hyperlink.

\t
Specifies the target that the link should be redirected into. Use this switch to link from a frames page to a page that you want to appear outside of the frames page. For example:
{ Hyperlink "filename" \t "_top" }

The destination Web page will appear in the entire browser window instead of a frame.

Options for the \t switch are:

\t "_top"
Whole page
\t "_self"
Same frame
\t "_blank"
New window
\t "_parent"
Parent frame
The default (without the switch specified) is Page Default (none).

Examples

This field code and text: "The project's budget is final. Click { HYPERLINK "C:\\My Documents\\budget.xls" } for more information." produces the following:

"The project's budget is final. Click 1999 Budget for more information."

Clicking the blue text opens the worksheet called Budget.xls in the My Documents folder. The hyperlink display text is "1997 Budget" and isn't included in the field syntax. You can edit the display text for the field by typing over it.

#4 ·
thanks, luigitoo & dreamboat,
i may have found a way around this by chopping it all up into continuous sections and removing the lock from just the section that has the "back to toc" link in it. still has a few bugs, but i'm working on it.
~melias

#5 ·
Sorry. I forgot about you!

You *could* (my workaround) insert command buttons (view control toolbox).

Create a field in your form or use one that already exists. Note the bookmark name.

Record a macro that does an Edit-Goto that bookmark.

Insert a command button that runs that macro.

Command buttons DO work in protected forms.

(Adding to web instructions... thanks!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.