1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2000 insert pic default layout

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Gram123, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Erm, I forgot how to do this...

When inserting a pic (from file) on my PC at home the default layout is "In Line With Text". On the PC at work, some time ago I changed this to "Tight".

How do you change this default?

I have a Word doc on my home PC and need to insert about 40 GIFs into it and don't want to have to mess about with repeatedly formatting layouts.

Cheers

Gram

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

Hi Gram. Seems like (depending on the versions) this is a job for code.

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/Q209/9/44.ASP&NoWebContent=1

NB the notes about how this affects default behaviour. If that's OTT, you might want to compromise by just adding the Text Wrapping button to your toolbar (show the Picture Toolbar, rightclick it & "Customize", drag the button to your bar while holding down CTRL). It's a palette-style button so that's quite cute.

Rgds,
    Andy

3. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Hi Andy,
    Well, I certainly didn't use any code when I did it last time. Could it have been a change in the Normal Template?

On both PC's I have my own normal template for Word and I've changed various things for my own purposes including the default font to Arial 10pt, the Zoom to "Page Width", as well as various buttons like "Send To Mail Recipient As Attachment", "Page Setup", "Change Case" etc.
    On the work machine I've also switched off some of Word 2002's horrible new features like the Startup Pane and the Drawing Canvas.

So, if I've also changed the picture layout and then saved over the original Normal template, would this then be the defult layout?
    Hope so, as it makes my job easier.

If not, I'll use your second suggestion and just add the Layout button.

Thanksies.

Gram

4. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> I ... didn't use any code when I did it last time

I expect not ; confusing, ain't it? The chat that led me to article suggested that 2K2 has a setting in Tools -- Options, whereas 2K doesn't (have a setting anywhere, hence the code).

So I just assumed you'd found the 2K2 option one time, then hit a wall when trying to find the same in 2K.

Rgds,
    Andy

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Gram: Humor me, k?
    Check your Tools-Options, Compatibility tab.
    Mine is set for Word 2000 and uses In line with text by default.

However, you're perfectly right. I too swear that this was something that I did. For a long time, I thought it was *the last setting I used*, but could not make it switch when I didn't want in line with text. About the only thing I've ever changed is the save type (you know--dont' use features that aren't available in 97)... MAYBE, just maybe... 'cause all those text wrapping options weren't available in 97, right?

6. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Anne: I'm on the home machine now (using Office 2000), and under Compatibility here, it's set to "Recommended Options for... MS Word 2000", and none of the options blow it are checked. I'll look at the work machine tomorrow (O2002).

Andy: That article calls it "Float Over Text" - is this the equivalent of Tight? It would be a rarity that I'd ever need a pic inserted with anything other than Tight or Square layout. In the KB article, it says that even if the macro is deleted the default layout will remain "Float Over Text". This would actually be a positive thing for me - to get rid of the macro from the document...

Gram

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    (Damn. Not receiving notifs.)

Office 97 used "float over text". This is the equivalent of 2000 and above's "in front of text". Office 97 didn't have a name for pix that were *not* float over text, but 2000 and above calls it "in line with text". I personally find "in line with text" to be the easiest way to use pix, but it really depends on what you're doing. If you want to really get into it, Gram, I'm here watching, even if I'm not getting my notifs.

8. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Well, I used Andy's method of adding the Layout options to an existing toolbar on the Word 2000 machine, although I didn't take it from the Picture toolbar, as this leaves the Picture toolbar without the Layout button...

The file turned out to include about 150 pics, so I'd say it wasn't the ideal way to do it, as for each one I had to select the pic, click the Layout button, choose Tight and then sort the positioning & accompanying text.

I guess I'll try the code method at some point, but for now, job's done.

As for the default layout in Word 2002, I found it under Tools, Options, Edit tab, so that's where we must have changed it in this version.

Gram

9. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> "Float Over Text" - is this the equivalent of Tight?

Hi Gram, I couldn't say ; as DB suggests, it all gets a bit semantic. :D

If you ran the code one time then checked how inserted pix subseqently behaved, if it didn't work well enough you could just undo it by running the With as = False.

>> I didn't take it from the Picture toolbar, as this
    >> leaves the Picture toolbar without the Layout button...

Not! Not if you "drag the button to your bar while holding down CTRL", as I stressed ; using CTRL creates a copy while leaving the original intact. Anyway, if it gets FUBAR you can just reset the tb.

>> wasn't ... ideal ..., for each one I had to select ...,
    >> click the Layout button, choose Tight

But once the Customize dialog is running, you can drop the Text Wrapping palette. At that exact point (see the pic), you hit CTRL and drag the Tight button to your Standard tb. Cuts out ½ the required subsequent actions. It was a pointer m8, sometimes you have to work the rest out. :D :D

>> (DB said) Compatibility ... set for Word 2000 ... uses
    >> In line with text by default

Mine is set the same ; but I've no option(s) to do with "In line with text by default" anywhere. ???

Rgds,
    Andy

Attached Files:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice