1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2000 not loading

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by auslin, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. auslin

auslin Thread Starter

For the last 3 weeks.. i have been unable to load up my Word 2000, everytime i try to start the program it begins to load up showing the little Word 2000 logo box .. but thats it! all i have then is the little windows flag fluttering..and everything is frozen up forcing me to re boot the system.. i have tried reinstalling Word 2000 but the problem persists.. i cant think its to do with lack of memory.. as it is a recent problem and i havent put anything else on my comp.. has anyone else had this prob?? can anyone help!?:(

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

Sounds like this may not be a Word2000 problem, rather an explorer problem or possibly connected with Internet Explorer. You don't say what OS you're running but I'd start looking at a corrupted file in either area. Does anything else behave oddly; Excel, PowerPoint, IE whatever version?

Try running SFC (System File Checker) if you're using Win98. If you're using ME I believe the designation is different but I can't help since I've never used ME.

or

Try repairing IE. Too many times I've found a corrupted IE can cause other problems because it's so intertwined with MS Office.

Since you say you haven't installed any new software it should only be an existing application. I assume it was working fine prior to the problem.

Last, you might do a thorough virus scan with the latest signature files from whatever anti-virus software you use. A macro virus may have entered at some point if you haven't kept up to date. In fact I would probably rule this out first.

3. columbo

columbo

Hi,

Try going to c:\program files\microsoft office\office\startup and remove any files found in there (just cut them and paste them into a Temp folder).

Next, do a search on your C: drive for "normal.dot" (without the quotation marks). It should be in a folder named "templates". Remove this file from that folder and paste it into a temp folder.

Now reboot and try opening up Word....does it work?

If that doesn't help, you might also want to try emptying out your C:\Windows\Temp folder.....

4. auslin

auslin Thread Starter

the search on the c drive did the trick using normal.dot it now starts OK the question now what do i do with the file i have in the folder.

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

Nice pick columbo, do you have an old car, raincoat and smoke stogies? :D

I should have remembered normal.dot sometimes becomes abnormal.dot

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice