Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Word 2000, Notepad, Windows - Can't Copy, Paste, Save!!!

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  innewton 
#1 ·
I don't know what on earth happens to my computer. First, this afternoon my computer suddenly slows down A LOT...like for example when I try to open the Windows Media Player it can't open and a message says it's due to low memory...when I was not using any other programs...and then everything else is slow...I can print articles though. Later I restart the computer but it stays the same. Then after some time strangely it gets back to normal by itself and I thought everything's over.
But then tonight when I turn on the computer the problem comes back again. Can't open some high-memory programs...even the Kerio firewall program disappears by itself! In addition, I find that all of a sudden I can't use the cut/copy/paste function on virtually any program that has that function...Word, Notepad, Windows. I was particularly frustrated as I was doing some assignment that becomes quite inconvenient without those functions. And the Edit/Save function on the Internet window was also blocked. ("Luckily" the Save function in Word was not blocked.) Could someone suggest what has happened? Thanks a lot.

#3 ·
Sigh...unfortunately I am a computer idiot. I am not sure if I have enough space on my hard drive...how to check that... But in terms of hard disk space I don't think I have any problem since it's same as ever. And as I did basically the same thing everyday with my computer, I couldn't imagine that my computer would become all of a sudden low memory! By the way, what is spybot and adaward...

#5 ·
I use Windows 2000. OK, I finally get some idea of what's happening.
It looks like that whenever I get connected to the internet for some time now my computer is slowed down, firewall program automatically disappears by itself, and can't open some high-memory programs. But I never have this problem before.
And then if I disconnect the computer from the internet, everything returns to normal. I've checked the computer's network traffic and found that it was more than what I have actually used. So could it be some hidden programs scanning my computer without my knowledge that slows down my computer??? And what should I do???

Thanks a lot.

#7 ·
Hi, I use Kerio Personal Firewall. I normally set it to run at Startup but starting from yesterday it disappears automatically by itself. I've scanned the system but there was no virus to be found. Whenever I got connected to the internet my computer slows down so much. I totally dun know what happens. At times the computer can be so slow that I have to wait a few seconds before the mouse pointer can move!

#9 ·
Adaware and spybot are two free programs that detect and delete spyware which can get on your compute. It is software that is supposed to get demographic info etc from computers usually from advertisers. But it can cause real havoc. One of my clients could not even get into windows because her computer was full of spyware.

These instructions are from helponthe.net member dvk01. I copied and pasted from one of his posts because he has a great step by step.

Anyway, after you run these programs. Check back on helponthe.net and post how your computer is running. If you are still having a problem, one of the experts will give another step to follow.

By the way, you are not a computer idiot. The only idiot is someone that doesn't ask for help. This is the greatest website and everyone is so willing to share their expertise. I can't tell you how many times I have been helped when I have tried all my tricks and am at a roadblock.

Spybot - Search & Destroy from http://security.kolla.de
AdAware 6 from http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download

Run Sybot S&D

After installing, first press Online, press search for updates, then tick the updates it finds, then press download updates. Beside the download button is a little down pointed arrow, select one of the servers listed. If it doesn't work or you get an error message then try a different server

Next, close all Internet Explorer and OE windows, press 'Check for Problems', and have SpyBot remove all it finds that is marked in RED.

then reboot &

Run ADAWARE

Before you scan with AdAware, check for updates of the reference file by using the "webupdate".
the current ref file should read at least 01R292 14.04.2004 or a higher number/later date

Then ........

Make sure the following settings are made and on -------"ON=GREEN"
From main window :Click "Start" then " Activate in-depth scan"

then......

click "Use custom scanning options>Customize" and have these options on: "Scan within archives" ,"Scan active processes","Scan registry", "Deep scan registry" ,"Scan my IE Favorites for banned URL" and "Scan my host-files"

then.........

go to settings(the gear on top of AdAware)>Tweak>Scanning engine and tick "Unload recognized processes during scanning" ...........then........"Cleaning engine" and "Let windows remove files in use at next reboot"

then...... click "proceed" to save your settings.

Now to scan it´s just to click the "Scan" button.

When scan is finished, mark everything for removal and get rid of it. (Right-click the window and choose"select all" from the drop down menu) then press next and then say yes to the prompt, do you want to remove all these entries.

reboot again

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.