1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2000 problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Jimmy P, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Thread Starter

When I start Word 2000 it takes longer to open than I think it should, and before it opens completely I get a "Visual Basic" box with the text "Runtime error - 2147467259 (80004005) Automation Error" and an "End" and a "Help" button. Clicking on the "Help" button is no real help, since it brings up a lot of Visual Basic stuff that I don't understand (not being a VB programmer). Clicking on "End" cancels the box.

Also, in general, when Word is open, the mouse is very balky both in Word and in other applications, such as in surfing the Internet.

Any ideas?

Jimmy P
    [email protected].

2. SyscoKid

SyscoKid

You may very well have a virus. A Visual Basic error seems to indicate that a macro is trying to run (unsuccessfully in this case). Make sure your virus definitions are up to date and do a full scan.

You could also try deleting normal.dot.

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Just a guess, but it's probably NOT a virus. More than likely some program that was installed on your PC wrote to your normal.dot file (like Acrobat / PDF writer /postage on-line), and then the program was uninstalled.

However, deleting or renaming the normal.dot file to abnormal.dot while the Word program is closed ought to do the trick as sysco suggests.

Is that you asyscokid from ee?

4. SyscoKid

SyscoKid

Yep, it's one and the same, but I thought you knew that already!!!

:D :D :D

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I figured--but I go to too many and see too many techie-type names and don't recall seeing you around here in a while.

Thanks for your help! It's REALLY appreciated, you know...

:)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65118

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice