1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2000 - Spell check switch between english and french on it's own

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by RedSox2004, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RedSox2004

RedSox2004 Thread Starter

Windows 2000 2003
    Travels with file from computer to computer

Dictionary avail is only the system one.
    The language options is only ENGLISH.
    French is not even available for me to select.

I have a 4mb file with multiple headings, multiple topics, Thousands of hyperlinks.

I type status and info into each "topic" section, cut and paste from other files, and emails.

Hyperlind to file names.

I think it is related to a hyperlinked document name that starts with h3nnnn_-_all.pdf.

But, it will be checking spelling, and all of a sudden it will want to change normal english words to their French equivalent.

It complains there are too many spelling errors for it to check. I then created "my own library" to put all the technical terms in to reduce the number of errors. I put most of the english word errors that it wanted to convert to French into it, and that reduced the number of complaints, but it is amusing / annoying.

I cannot figure out how to find where the dictionary change is invoked within my file. Any ideas?

This might be related to my problem with the "too many edits problem" if that one is a heap problem. Don't know how to change the heap size of word 2000.

2. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Hi Redsox2004,

Word documents, and different parts of a document, may be set in a different language (Tools / Set Language) than your default .

If you have copied from other documents then the copied text may be in another language.

You can set the text to not check spelling if it is causing you a problem, e.g. if you do not have the dictionary loaded for the language required. (same Tools / Set Language option).

You can see the language any text has been set in by looking in the status bar at the bottom of your screen.

HTH
    Hew

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/500740