1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by willadene, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. willadene

willadene Thread Starter

I noticed that in the drop down box for Font style (normal, heading and etc) some computers with Word 2000 list the size of the font that is associated with each style and other computers with Word 2000 list just the style without the size of the font in the drop down box.
    Also, when I am in Word I can open up the same Excel file and on some computers instead of legible numbers it is garbish. When I open an Excel file, I click on the file open icon, and find my Excel file and the type is all files. Where Excel appears garbish in Word, I can view the same Excel file on that same computer by entering directly in the application Excel.
    Any ideas with these differences? Thanks!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The drop down box for the font size is a separate function which may or may not be displayed on the toolbar. You can select it from View - Toolbars - Customise - Format.

Select the Font Size box and drag it and drop it beside the font type box (or wherever you want it) on the toolbar. Its a user customised feature.

If you open an Excel file using Word, then yes it will look like gibberish. When "Files of Type" is set for All files, it will show all file types, not just the ones that can be opened in Word

Word is a word processor program, Excel is a spreadsheet program. The file types are very very different, and you should not open Excel files in Word at all, its not designed that way. Just because you can see the file does not indicate it can or should be opened by Word.

As you have noted, opening an Excel file in Excel works fine. If you select All Files in Excel, you would see Word files as well. They would not open in Excel.

3. willadene

willadene Thread Starter

Clarification: The drop down box that I am referring to is the style box on the formatting tool bar--for an example normal has 14 pt in the very same drop down box and heading 1 has 16 pt in the very same drop down box. I realize tool bars have an individual or separate fonts size drop down box right beside the style drop down box. Why do some computers list Font style (normal, heading and etc with a specific font size in the very same drop down box) and some computers list just the style without the size of the font in the drop down box? I have tried experimenting with customizing so it would be the same.

As far as opening Excel in Word, I have done this many times before as I teach Word application classes. The book's purpose of this exercise was to show how a person can pull an Excel worksheet into an word document. The Excel file opens properly on majority of computers, I was questioning what a person could do so an Excel file would open properly in Word application on all computers. They have all the same version of Word, Excel and Windows.

Hopefully this will help clarify my questions.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Tools-Customize, Options tab.

"List fonts in their font names" is either checked or unchecked. Unchecked results in no font size showing. :)

As for Excel files....check what the document type is set to. You said "all files". Are you sure some of them are not set to "Recover text from any file"? When you use that option, it does NOT change back to DOCs or All files or whatever. It hangs onto that option until you change it back, even after rebooting and everything. It's VERY poor design that people open files with this option unknowingly and think they have a virus or something.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163909

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice