1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by RYEBREAD, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RYEBREAD

RYEBREAD Thread Starter

Hello-- My computer is running great, and all programs load and run well. With one exception! When I try to load a document through Word 2000, or just open word it becomes sluggish and then displays a message " System is dangerously low on resources." My system has at least 70 MB RAM free. I've tried to reinstall the program, defrag, and a few other things, but they don't seem to help very much. I would appreciate some feedback if there is any, thankyou very much.

Ryan

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Firstly, "resources" does not equate to RAM. Its available "pointers" to a table. There is only a finite number available, and if a program occupies too many without releasing used ones, the error results.

Secondly, try locating "normal.dot" on your computer. There must be at least one instance of it, rename them to normal.old.

Its the default template for Word, which is loaded everytime it runs. If it gets corrupted, it causes all sorts of problems.

If it doesnt find a copy when it runs, it creates a new clean one.
    Even reinstalling Word will not fix this, if its a problem. Only deleting or renaming the file will.

Not guaranteed, but worth a try.

3. RYEBREAD

RYEBREAD Thread Starter

Thankyou kiwiguy for your help, much appreciated!

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

These resources that it is low on reside in the first 640k of memory. If that memory is clogged by old DOS drivers for DOS games etc this error can occur.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice