1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2002 wants to re-install itself after boot

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hakumaster, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hakumaster

hakumaster Thread Starter

Hi,

Lately I have been confronted with a small but annoying problem. Immediately after boot, when the system has to all intents loaded drivers, services, etc., a dialog appears saying that it initializes Word and installs it. I immediately annulled this, since I have Word (version 2002) installed since long on the machine in question (an ACER Netbook).

Note 1: annulling once often does not suffice, because now and again the dialog pops up again, sometimes thrice in a row!

Note 2: I have off course "repaired" Word from inside and outside the application - to no avail.

The problem reoccurs after each restart and/or boot.

I have looked into my list of startups, and also checked msconfig, to see if for one reason or the other Microsoft had introduced this boot command. No trace of such a thing, however, at least none that I could detect. Note that I have cleaned my registry - but this does not help either...

What I can add is that this phenomenon started soon after 2 operations - which might or might not have something to do with the problem. One was a recent Windows (regular) update, the other the Microsoft utility <Windows8-UpgradeAssistant.exe>, which checks whether the system is compatible with Windows 8 (it is - except for a few installed apps). So, what gives here?
    Something akin to a "dirty disk"? Where must I go look for the origin of the problem?

Attached, your SysInfo report.

Thanks for helping me solve this annoyance...

hakumaster

Attached Files:

2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Does your computer ask you to use the Word installation disk? I remember having an issue like this years ago with Office 2000. Inserting the install disk when asked fixed it, though I don't remember why. Office was not reinstalled; for some reason the installer just wanted to see the disk,

3. nikomaster

nikomaster

Why not trying re-installing the whole application? Or at least upgrading to a less problematic version like 2007

4. hakumaster

hakumaster Thread Starter

To md2lgyk:
    Reinstall asks not for the install disk.

To nikomaster: Reinstalling has been done. No change in problem. Upgrading is out of the question in this case; I like Word as it used to be.

To both: I am pretty sure that the problem has to do as the already mentioned (still regular) Windows XP updates. Indeed, such updates make (annoying) modifications to the system lately (say since one or two months), like changing my settings in Win Security Center. I don't want automatic updates, and not having Windows consider this as a security risk. And yet, by every update, the settings in reports Reports" from Security Center" are changed (checked) again - a change that Malwarebytes considers rightly as a PUM malware. So... if Windows update is capable of such shenanigans, it probably can do other things too...

5. nikomaster

nikomaster

Try disabling Windows update. I have installed Windows XP on my desktop computer, and I disabled windows update because it is annoying. Try doing the same, believe me, nothing happens.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice