1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2003/2007 Template Compatibility

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jmsralnc, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmsralnc

jmsralnc Thread Starter

:D Happy Holidays!

Running Office 2007. Have made a template for a client that features VB (not legacy) CheckBoxes, ComboBoxes, and TextBoxes. The template is a one page document with tables; the client (a dental surgeon) enters patient name and date, checks various boxes about patient condition/recommendations for treatment, selects text from combo boxes. Auto text will also be included.

The problem: The template takes up to 60 seconds to load on his machine (New Dell, 1Gb RAM, NTFS, Office 2003). I save the template in "compatibility mode" on my machine (P4 2.8 Ghz 1Gb FAT32). Also, the template takes about 10-15 seconds to load on my machine.

How can I speed it up? Is it a compatibility issue?

Thanks.

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there,

Have you tried this file on another machine? First thing I would want to know: Is the problem your clients computer or not. To test that, I would test on multiple OS's. Do you have Office 2003 to test with? If it is not sensitive data, you can post the file here (preferrably zipped) and we can test it out as well.

In regards to compatibility mode, take a look here for a good run down of it, also this. Some people have stated that a document created in Office 2007 in Compatbility Mode is a different file than one created in Office 2003 (i.e. Word), but I've not found anything to support that. AFAIK the file format should be to the same specifications as an actual file created in that version.

3. jmsralnc

jmsralnc Thread Starter

Zak,

Thanks very much for your quick reply. I did not expect it given the holidays :eek:

I do not THINK the problem is with his machine; it MIGHT be. One thing I will say is that he runs Trend AV, and has said that he has noticed his machine runs slower since his tech guy switched.

I just opened the template to edit and it took 12 seconds to open. That seems kind of long.

I have not checked out the links you suggested yet, but I will and am confident they will help.

At any rate, I tried attaching the template. Got an "Invalid File" message. I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks again!

4. cherry pie

cherry pie

assuming you're uploading doc or docx files, you need to ZIP them first.

5. jmsralnc

jmsralnc Thread Starter

Attached to this message is the template. It was created and saved in Word 2007 Compatibility Mode. It takes anywhere from 10-22 seconds to load on my machine--usually about 12 seconds. It takes 45-60 seconds to load on my client's machine in Word 2003.

Attached Files:

6. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Why did you do it in VBA instead of by using the form fields? Have you tried it with the regular form fields and checked to see if it loads faster?

7. jmsralnc

jmsralnc Thread Starter

The form(s) was originally done using the "legacy" fields (that is what MS calls them in 2007). The client wanted and needed the flexibility and features that Active X controls provide.

The size of the template is 737 Kb. The client does not like that it takes at least 45 seconds to load when he double-clicks on it.

Thanks

8. slurpee55

slurpee55

Just to answer firefytr's question. On my (admittedly old) PC running 2003, if Word is already open, it took about 20 seconds (after the warning about macros) to open. But by opening Word via clicking on the file, it took 105 seconds (about 20 to get to the macro warning, but even so, it took about 3 times as long to open after that). Why? I haven't the foggiest - I would think that it would be the same either way.

9. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    It took me awhile as well. If you would go with the normal form fields I am guessing it will open much more faster.

10. slurpee55

slurpee55

The form is pretty impressive, but don't you think it would be possible to do the same thing in Excel? I suspect you would have fewer problems...

11. jmsralnc

jmsralnc Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for your replies and help. I am a devoted supporter of this site as it has been such an invaluable help in the past.

Thanks for the compliment on the template. I have always been determined to use Word to its utmost as a time- and labor-saving tool. People are generally amazed at what Word can do. I like to tell folks you could run a small business on Word, including creating almost exact replicas of tax forms that do calculations (yup, I've done this and submitted them to the IRS). Now, you wouldn't WANT to do this--there are much easier paths--but you could.

Tried opening the template from Word (File, New) and by double-clicking on file.
    Both took the same amount of time to load on my machine - 20-25 seconds. However, I am using Word 2007. I need to test it on my client's machine (2003).

Excel--this might be an option I might want to try. I would like the file to autosave and autoname for the client (did this with Word 97 some years back and it worked very well). Don't know if I can do that in Excel (i.e., does Excel have an AutoOpen or AutoExec feature?).

Cannot use the "legacy" form fields. This is where I started. There are too many places on the form where the client wants the freedom to enter text. Also, the client likes the highlighted checkboxes. Cannot do this using legacy forms because of the protect doc requirement.

Again, thank you very much. Sorry it took so long to get back with you, but got caught up in a ton of other stuff, as is usual post-holidays I guess.

Take care!!!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice