Word 2003 and {FORMTEXT}

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JFresh

Hi,

I am creating a form in Word 2003 and one that may be either typed up in Word or printed out and handwritten.

As such, there is one section where I need to allow the user to input what they want across multiples lines of text. However, I have also been asked to put in underlines at the same time as people should be given the option to handwrite in this area as well.

What I'm thinking needs to be done is to create multiple rows for this and put a border on the bottom of each row, to create a kind of pseudo-underline. However, the problem here is that I need the {FORMTEXT} box, such that when it hits the end of the line, it doesn't continue to expand the table as it does now, but rather that it would continue along in the next cell.

Granted, I could just throw in a next Formtext box in each cell and just have the user tab to continue the text, but given our users I don't think that'll go over very well and it also seems like a very inelegant solution.

Is there any other way to do this? Is there a more appropriate field code for the job?

Thank you for all of your help!

JFresh

JFresh

Also, I tried simply drawing lines in and setting their order to "Back" but the lines pushed along with the text for some reason. So once again anyone that knows anything that can help out with this, I would very much appreciate it!

Thanks!

JFresh

OBP

An alternative is to use Excel and it's cell border as an underline

JFresh

So I would be able to port the table in from Excel? That's an interesting idea =). I'll have to try that when I get in to work tomorrow and I'll let you know.

Thanks for the idea!

JFresh

JFresh

Ok, I created a table in Excel and put it into a Word document as a test. The formtext field fits perfectly within so using underlines that way works.

But....

When the text reaches the end of the table it first continues to expand the table as far as the page and eventually moves to the next line within the same cell. Thus, only the last line typed is truly underlined.

Is there a way that I can fix the length of the table and the cell? I looked all over the table properties but found nothing of the sort.

Thank you for the suggestion =)!

JFresh

JFresh

Ok, one other thing I did was this: I tried using the drawing lines tool to draw in underlines. I think this might work because the lines can be there regardless but I'm having trouble with the formatting.

I right clicked on the line and told it to go to the back of the document. Regardless of this the formtext field still seems to have an effect on the formatting. The lines get messed up or the text around it does.

I know there are options as far as pushing the lines forward and backward with respect to the text but they're greyed out.

If I can get the lines to just be there without affecting anything else I think this may be the best way to do it.

Any ideas on how to do it this way?

Thanks,

JFresh

I'm not sure what you're doing with Excel but it seems like an unnecesary complication.

That said, there isn't any real easy way to get lines to write on in Word - drawing them or having a background image is the usual way of achieving it but it isn't ideal.

If you can't layer your drawn lines they are probably set to in line with text - right click and select Format, then go to the Layout tab and set them to Behind Text.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online