1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2003 Auto Correct Question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Sidney Lu, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sidney Lu

Sidney Lu Thread Starter

I just upgraded to Word 2003, which I use for medical transcription. With the amount of word processing I do daily, I rely heavily on automatic capitalization at the beginning of a sentence. However for some reason, it will not capitalize if the previous sentence ends with a numeral followed by a period. I have gone into Exceptions under Auto Correct; however, no numerals followed by periods are listed, so I cannot remove them and solve the problem. Any ideas? I never had this problem with my previous version of Word.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

2. Claymore

Claymore

3. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

Could you add it to the auto correct database? Rather than trying to remove it, you may want to try adding a rule that states to capatilize it if its a number etc.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Have you looked at that suggestion realistically blaqDeaph?

It would mean creating every possible variation with its correction, its not a "rule based" approach of "if its a number and a period, then capitalize". You only have a choice of "Capatalize first letter" or not.

Beyong that every instance would need a "Replace" and a "With" scenario, which would mean every numeral (or sequence of numerals ever possible) and period followed by a space coupled with every letter of the alphabet. Probably several thousands of entries, depending on the length of the numeral strings involved.

Somehow I think you would be waiting quite a while after each Number. Letter for it to search its search and replace table....

5. bomb #21

bomb #21

IMO "the length of the numeral strings" wouldn't come into it. If feasible, it would be a case of 260 entries (0 - 9 followed by each letter) rather than "several thousands of entries".

Sidney may wish to note the following from Graham Mayor, Word MVP:

"We are getting bone idle when it comes to such functions, and rely on them far too much. That's why you have a shift key on your keyboard. If this is a major issue for you, perhaps through disability, then you could always use a simple replacement macro eg

Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
    Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
    Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
    With Selection.Find
    .Text = "[0-9]. [a-z]"
    .Replacement.Text = "^&"
    .Replacement.Font.AllCaps = True
    .Forward = True
    .Wrap = wdFindContinue
    .Format = True
    .MatchCase = False
    .MatchWholeWord = False
    .MatchAllWordForms = False
    .MatchSoundsLike = False
    .MatchWildcards = True
    End With
    Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

6. Sidney Lu

Sidney Lu Thread Starter

Graham Mayer must work for Microsoft! :p I bet he didn't say that when he traded in his Selectric for his first PC.

7. bomb #21

bomb #21

Highly unlikely. From MVP FAQs:

"MVPs are not employees of Microsoft nor do they speak on Microsoft's behalf. MVPs are third party individuals who have simply received an award from Microsoft ... The Microsoft MVP Program does provide a small award of software and other benefits in its core program offering, but MVPs do not receive any monetary payment".

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice