Word 2003 - Custom Keywords

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jglenn

Greetings -

I'm sure this is an easy question, but I can't seem to find a direct answer simply searching the net...

What is the purpose of KEYWORDS entered in to the properties of a Word document?

I was hoping that it served the same purpose as using keywords on a web page, making it easier for a user to find a page/document.

This is what I'm trying to accomplish. My company has an Intranet site which I maintain, we would like to add our policies and procedures to this site, giving all employees easy access to these documents.

I have implemented a search engine on the site, allowing users to search the entire site, however in testing it's not returning the kind of results I'm looking for.

For example: one of the policies deals with the use of portable heaters, "Usage of Portable Heating Devices." Now, if I do a search on the site for any one of the words in the title or in the document it will find it, but if I search for any variation of a word such as "heater," which by the way is also not a word in the document, it does not return a result.

To try to solve this problem, I tried using KEYWORDS, adding words such as heat, heater and a few others relating to the topic. Trying to use words that might make for a logical search but are not found in the document. As you might guess this is not working in the way that I thought it might.

Can someone clarify the use of KEYWORDS and maybe offer a suggestion on how I might be able to get better search results.

Thank you much!
Jason

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online