Solved Word 2003 file permission error when saving to network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mhwolog

Hello,
I am running a smallish network/domain - with workstations running win 7 pro and Office 2003. The server is running SBS 2011. All PCS have AVG installed.
The problem occurs intermittently (as far as I can tell, but it might be happening more often than I think - but we just aren't doing work that highlights the issue everyday), but if it starts happening one day - it seems to continue that day and is reproducible. And seems to happen on all/most workstations - regardless of whether the workstations are standard users or network administrators on SBS 2011.

Especially word 2003 comes up with the error:
"Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error \\drp001\company\temp\test.doc" (and the document will change its name to a .tmp file - there is no problem saving to the workstation directly).
This occurs if a new document is saved to the server (on several different directories that I try), or if I try to edit and resave an existing document.

If I save a new document with excel 2003, I get the error:
"The document was saved successfully, but Excel cannot re-open it because of a sharing violation. Please close the document and try to open it again." There seems to be no error when saving an existing excel file.
There is no error doing the same with a .txt file through notepad.
There seems to be no error when editing and saving a .docx file through word.
There is no problem copying .doc files through windows to these directories, or renaming the files.

I have checked and these directories are shared with "everyone" and under the security tab "everyone" has full control (not special permissions). In attributes these folders show up as a grey tick - but as far as I am aware this is normal.
I have tried the word issue whilst the workstation is logged in as the network administrator - and the error still occurs.
I have tried temporarily disabling AVG on the workstation and server, and the error still occurs.
We have one dropbox on a workstation which syncs only on that workstation to a server/network directory (rather than on the workstation itself) - I tried pausing syncing and the error still occurs.
I have tried logging off and on windows and the error still occurs.
I have tried reconnecting the workstation to the domain and the error still occurs.
There appear to be no duplicate IP addresses for workstations.
If I run word as the network administrator the error still occurs.

I have run out of ideas! Any possible solutions please?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
I believe Office 2003 and 2007 exhibit this problem, newer versions do not. Might be to time to update from 14 year old software.

In the meantime make sure you have Service Pack 3 installed for Office 2003 and all the subsequent Microsoft Office Updates, you can get them through Windows Updates if you select the option to update to Microsoft Update and update other products.

The thought of having AVG installed on a server scares me. As a test uninstall it off the server and off one workstation and test again. Disabling antivirus in most cases is not enough.

In Windows 7 disable that preview pane in Windows Explorer that shows document contents. You can also try disabling Windows Indexing as a test.

mhwolog

I believe Office 2003 and 2007 exhibit this problem, newer versions do not. Might be to time to update from 14 year old software.

In the meantime make sure you have Service Pack 3 installed for Office 2003 and all the subsequent Microsoft Office Updates, you can get them through Windows Updates if you select the option to update to Microsoft Update and update other products.

The thought of having AVG installed on a server scares me. As a test uninstall it off the server and off one workstation and test again. Disabling antivirus in most cases is not enough.

In Windows 7 disable that preview pane in Windows Explorer that shows document contents. You can also try disabling Windows Indexing as a test.
Thanks Rob,
I checked on one workstation and for some reason I hadn't installed the service pack 3 - I must have done a fresh install on some of the pcs at some stage. It seemed to fix the problem, although I didn't get a chance to give it much of a test. I will try on the other workstations and post back if that was definitely the fix.

Yes 14 year old software I know! But I own the licenses and am a small business owner with 10 workstations.... not sure I want to fork out too much for a program that we don't use that often :)

mhwolog

I investigated further, and it wasn't the service pack 3; it was a setting in the antivirus that scanned files when they close - this was the cause of the problem. And it was also resulting in files disappearing (or changing to .tmp files) if they were edited and then you attempted to resave. Thanks for your help Rob.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts