Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Word 2003 files will not associate with Word 2007

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  thing 
#1 ·
I have almost EXACTLY the same problem found in this thread:

http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/566147-cant-open-doc-file-word-5.html

The only difference is that I'm using Windows 7, not VIsta. I have tried to edit the registry as pointed out in post #66 of the above link but........ 1. "Word.Document.12" does not exist in the .doc folder
2. "Word.Document.12" in the .docx folder has a value of 0000
The .docx folder contains a file that reads: Word.Document.12 REG_NONE (zero-length binary value)

I'm pulling my hair out because ALL our old 2003 word docs will not associate with Word 2007. Excel and Powerpoint work fine. Opening these files the long way round is very painful and frustrating. Can anyone help please?

#2 ·
Well since I have no reply I guess nobody knows how to solve this.
Although I have found an easy way, (without the need for a registry edit) it is still not satisfactory because it means installing a program to do what explorer should do anyway. That being said here's what I did:

Install ACDC and associate the .doc files to Office 2007 (Word 2007) there. Done. All fixed. I left the explorer window open while I did it in ACDC and magically "Word" appeared in the list of available programs (which had never happened before no matter what I tried).
So if you have this problem, my only suggestion is to install ACDC and associate your old files there. Another MS FAIL.

#3 ·
Maybe nobody knows how to solve the problem because nobody else has it. I don't. Nor do any of the several hundred users at work who were recently upgraded to 2007.

#9 ·
Sorry my typo, corrected now. I guess I should have been more specific, your post this was rude and inappropriate and your previous warning was for inappropriate language. This site IS for helping people out, hence why I edited your post as it definitely was not in that nature.

#10 ·
OK thanks for that:confused:
Anyway back to the topic ACDSee was a file management program years ago, it has now morphed into a photo manager ( and quite a good one). I don't use it but I found the ogininal 2.3 ? version I had archived and did the fix with that.
Here's the link to the current version:
http://www.acdsee.com/
If you look around you will find there are many ppl out there still using the old one for file managing. It solved my Win 7, Office 2007 association problem instantly.
I can only hope md2lgyk has an office install that reacts the way that it did on my wifes PC (or reads the thread I pointed to..if he can in fact read), he may then suck eggs.
I have never encountered this problem before but it does happen.

#11 ·
Thanks for ACDSee! Based on your earlier post I had seached for ACDC, and couldn't figure out how a rock band would help! :D

FWIW I regretted feeling a need to take action against you. Your post was perfectly appropriate except for the first word, which clearly struck me as being much worse than I'm sure you meant it. I'm extremely impressed with your maturity in being able to come back with such a helpful post after I had hit you with a baseball bat. :up:

#12 ·
Thats OK np. I was really annoyed with md2lgyk for claiming I was some kind of idiot with a non existant problem when the thread I linked CLEARLY showed many ppl with the same issue. Maybe it's the "reading" part of it he has a problem with? I most likely would have got kicked off for flaming him anyway! :) The break did me good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.