Word 2003 is driving me crazy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

addyb

Windows Word 2003 has been working fine... up until today, that is.

When I start it up normally, through the start menu, it stops responding. When I try and open an existing document, it's missing and Windows can't find it.

So when I reset the normal.dot file, and manage to start Word, I was happy. But then it decided to stop after I tried to type in a letter. And even worse, when I try to open an existing document it stops when running the virus scan.

I've even gone through the lengths of uninstalling the damn program and reinstalling it, to the same result.

So any help will be very appreciated at the moment.

And I'm running Windows Vista, if that's anything.

Thanks, Addy.

jimr381

Jim
Have you tried disabling the scanning for viruses when opening up MS Word?

You can also try renaming the 'Normal.dot' file to something like 'Normal.old'. The next time word is opened, a new/clean 'Normal.dot' file will be created.

addyb

I've tried running the "Detect and Repair". Unfortunately, that seems to freeze it up also.

And after reading jimr381's post, I tried several methods from changing registry keys to completely wiping Norton off my system. Didn't work.

I can tell you this is extremely frustrating: I'm reduced to the point of crossing fingers... and I've sent an email to Microsoft (hah).

I'll let you know how it works out.

Addy.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online