1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2003 Margins - different for page 2 onwards

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by drawde, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drawde

drawde Thread Starter

Hi

I am using Microsoft Word 2003. I print page 1 of a letter on headed paper, and subsequent pages on plain paper. The headed paper has a large address block at the bottom, so the bottom margin on page 1 must be several centimetres higher than subsequent pages.

Is there any way of making the bottom margin of page 2 onwards automatically be different from page 1? I have experimented with section breaks, but this requires me to insert one manually when I reach the end of page 1, and then change the margins. This is quite tedious, and some of my colleagues do not like doing this.

I have also experimented with VBA, inserting a section break at the beginning of page 2 and changing the margins all automatically, but the problem with this is the security warning that you get when you open Word, which annoys my colleagues.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

drawde

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I have not had time to try this but ....

Could you insert a (white) blank graphic element across the bottom of page 1 and hard code its size and location so that it is not in-line with body text? Then have it positioned relative to the bottom left corner of the page and have text wrap set to jump over it. You would need to make sure that the document preferences included the printing of the graphic.

3. slurpee55

slurpee55

According to the Help file, "To change the margins for part of a document, select the text, and then set the margins you want. In the Apply to box, click Selected text. Microsoft Word automatically inserts section breaks before and after the text with the new margin settings. If your document is already divided into sections, you can click in a section or select multiple sections and then change the margins." - note that if you do it this way you won't have to insert the section break manually... (well, that is what MS says....)

Another way would be a macro, but, again, you will probably get a security warning. MS has a link re. court documents, which essentially talks about using macros for this purpose:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA010744091033.aspx?pid=CL100636481033

4. drawde

drawde Thread Starter

The problem with highlighting text and changing the margins is that once you change the margins, the text moves and is still wrong (if that makes sense).

I like the idea of inserting a white image, that will probably do the job, and it didn't even occur to me!

Thanks for the suggestions.

drawde

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

Yes, it makes sense...sigh. Good luck on the image!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice