1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2003 merge document problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Purley, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purley

Purley Thread Starter

I have done typing over the Internet for years. My regular computer is in being fixed and they have given me a loaner. The only strange thing about it is that when I used my own disk to load Word 2003 on the loaner computer, it came up with its own product code - you know those letters and numbers you have to put in -- anyway, I tried to enter my own, but it would not work. I had to use the ones that automatically came up. I don't know how they got there. The only thing I can think of is that the previous owner of the computer had loaded Word and that this was his product code!

Anyway, my work requires the use of templates that are merge documents. I have to install a certain SQL file in C:\WINDOWS\Temp. The file is there. I have checked. But when I open a document it says its looking for the SQL file in C:\WINDOWS\Temp -- but it can't find it.

I have tried and tried all morning - emailing the company back and forth in the UK and it just will not work. I am completely baffled. The file is there - the path is correct and yet it says Word cannot find it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is that the previous owner - the owner of that product code - had some kind of administrative blocking on the computer.

Anyway, I am not making money and would like to figure it out so appreciate any help.

2. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Hi Purley,

How did you get the SQL file into ...temp?

You need to have the SQL file point to a data source; the SQL is just a filter against a data source somewhere else and that connection needs to be established first.

Is the source database on another Server e.g. at the Company you are doing work for?

You should contact the company's IT admin to make sure you have connectivity.

lol
    Hew

3. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum. Have you tried using the options that it gives when you open up the merge file to browse for the file? You do not want to browse for the file outside of Word. It should give you an option to look for the dataset. Finally what extension is on the end of this SQL file?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice