1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2003 save/save as disabled

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by wellgoodgod, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wellgoodgod

wellgoodgod Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba A55 laptop. I am running XP Home SP2 and Office Professional 2003 SP2. All utilites function normally with the exception of Word. The file menu shows "save" and "save as" to be disabled (greyed out). It will save with control-S, and I am able to save to any location I want. I am not receiving any error messages. All updates for XP and Office are current. No viruses or other malware. I have seen issues with Ofice SP2 concerning HP systems but they usually either lock up or generate errors. I do not have either of these problems. I have been looking for a solution for a few days to no avail. Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. wellgoodgod

wellgoodgod Thread Starter

I found my own solution. Apparently, the normal.dot template became corrupted. Deleted the file, and did not let word reload the saved version, creating a new one. Fixed the problem. Wanted to post in case someone else was dealing with the same issue.

3. DKTaber

DKTaber

Wellgoodgod: I've never heard of this problem, so can only take a stab at it. Did you check Tools, Options, Save? A little-known/virtually never changed combo box exists on that tab about 2/3 of the way down titled "Save Word files as:". By default, it should be on "Word document (*.doc)". If it got changed to something else, I'm guessing you might get this weird behavior. Check it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice