1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2003 starts fine for me but not for wife

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Tom Seeley, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

I've got MS Office 2003 loaded on our home computer. I'm an administrator and my wife, who is the only other user, is not. I've installed MS Office 2003 so we can both use it. But for some reason, whenever my wife logs on and clicks on the Word icon on her desktop Word starts by starting the Word Install routine. A window pops up that says something like "preparing to install". Then it vanishes. Then nothing! After quite a while (it seems) Word may appear on screen, whereas for me, when I log on and click on the same Word icon (I mean shortcut on my desktop) it starts normally and appears within seconds. In either case, it runs fine, but why won't it start up normally when my wife logs on?:confused:

2. Soundchick

Soundchick

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

It should not work that way, as you probably already know, but perhaps you selected some odd setting, or perhaps there is some installation issue that ... ah, who cares.

How about just temporarily setting her name as an Administrator and then let her start up Word. See if that gets you past the problem. Then, once things appear to work normally, just put her back to User rights.

Other than that, I would just reinstall Office.

4. Tom Seeley

To ChuckE

HOw do I temporarily make her an admin? I'm not willing to make her one permanently.

Without doing that, I have used Control Panel/Remove to remove MS Office 2003 entirely. I then did a complete "typical" install of the whole thing. I had to do that twice, for it to actually install Word, Excel, and PowerPoint!

It all still works fine for me and Word still does the "preparing to install" bit and finally, after a longer wait, starts for her also.

Any followon suggestions?

Thx in any case.

5. Tom Seeley

To SoundChick

I tried method 4, the only one that didn't make me fiddle with the registry, which I'm terrified of doing! When I got to the part where it said "view the security tab" in the window I had popped up, there wasn't one! Man, I hate instructions that tell you to do something with a part that isn't even there!

See also my quick reply to the next suggestion after yours, too.

Thx for trying, but so far, no help!

6. ChuckE

ChuckE

To change the permissions of a user, first you have to be an Administrator yourself, and you said you were, then you:

Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>
    select a User, then select "Change the account type"

I think you can figure it out from there...

After she trys (or you try on her desktop) using Word, to see if you can finish the install, remember to set her permissions ("Change the account type") back to Limited, so that (for whatever reason) she'll be as she was.

Or, if you have no reason for her to be "Limited," why not just leave her as an Administrator. (I am not suggesting either way, you know your wife, I don't :) )

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice