1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2003 stubborn split screen

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Albantar, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Albantar

Albantar Thread Starter

Hello everybody,

I ran into a very strange problem on the job. One of my users, who has a Thinkpad T43 laptop with Windows XP Pro and Office 2003 Pro encounters the following bug in Word:

In a document with Track Changes switched on, when he removes a row from a table by selecting one or several cells and using the Delete Rows button in the Tables and Borders toolbar, a split screen will appear at the bottom of the document showing only the changes that were made to the document. When he then unsplits the screen through Window, Remove Split, the split screen will often reappear after a fraction of a second; he has to unsplit the screen many times before it finally stays away.

I have also tested this in a blank document: I switched Track Changes on, created a table, and deleted a row using the Delete Rows button, and the same problem occurs.

Does anybody have a bright idea, because my bag of tricks is empty...

2. jimr381

jimr381

Welcome to the forum.

On the Reviewing Pane button which will turn off what you are referring to. If it keeps popping up look into your Track Changes options within the Options dialog box.

3. Albantar

Albantar Thread Starter

Hi jimr381,

I already extensively looked through those options but did not find something referring to a split screen containing modifications. What exactly am I looking for?

4. jimr381

jimr381

Reread my previous post. It is called the Reviewing Pane and there is a button to turn it on or off on the Reviewing toolbar. ;)

5. Albantar

Albantar Thread Starter

To speak with the almighty Homer Simpson: "DOH!"

I just ran to the user in question and added the "Reviewing Pane" button to his Reviewing toolbar, and switched it off. However, when deleting a row from a table, it would simply switch itself on again...

At least now he has an easy way of getting rid of the reviewing pane when it appears, so he was somewhat pleased already, but it still appears all by itself when deleting a row from a column... Intriguing.

6. jimr381

jimr381

I am not using 2003 anymore. I tried replicating it in 2007 to no avail. I still say it is track changes settings. Look into where it talks about balloons.

7. Albantar

Albantar Thread Starter

Jimr381, thanks anyway for your support!

I just found out that I get the same bug on my PC too; same Windows and Office versions as the user's PC.

The bug occurs when deleting a row from a table, either by using the Delete Row button in the Table toolbar, or by selecting a row, right-clicking and then selecting Delete Cells, Delete Entire Row.

Since the same thing occurs on my PC too, I believe this is a Word bug rather than something specific regarding the user's computer.

Anybody have any further ideas?

8. jimr381

jimr381

OK, well take care. Feel free to post if you have any other questions.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/777685