word 2003 toolbars won't hold customization

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LKW

If I add or remove any buttons from Word's default toolbars, the toolbars revert back to their default when i reopen word. The same goes for any custom toolbars I create. They disappear when I restart word.

I have deleted normal.dot and restarted with no luck. i know it's gotta be something simple but i'm too simple to figure it out. tia

xp home sp2
office 2003 pro sp1

Right click on the Word icon and choose properties. Click on the Shortcut tab and have a look at the Target box. If it contains an /a at the end of the path, delete it so the path looks something like

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE"

and not

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE" /a

If you have more than one shortcut icon for Word check those too. If you have but one of these with the /a entry it will affect all the others. I mention this as it is a hack to stop users changing any of the defaults in Word. I wouldn't know of any other reason why this should happen. Check it out anyway, best of luck.

LKW

My shortcuts all have "Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003" greyed out (uneditable) in the Target: box & nothing in the Start in: box. These are the default shortcuts that Office installs on the Start Menu. How do you modify these shortcuts or do I just need to make my own? Thanks again.

If your Normal template wasn't at fault, try your other global templates and add-ins next:

Find out what, if any, global templates and add-ins Word loads when it starts. To do so, locate your Startup folder (usually C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup).
Move each of these out of the Startup folder.
Close Word and drag each add-in back into the Startup folder, one at a time. Open, test, then close Word after each one. When and if the problem reappears, you will have located the add-in causing the problem. If the problem persists, you may have a corrupt data key in your registry.

If you are familiar with the Registry here is another fix you can try.

Open your registry and find the key below where office version is either "9.0" for Office 2000 or "10.0" for Office XP.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\[office version]\Word\Data]

With the "Data" folder selected, click Rename on the Edit menu. Type a new name for the Data folder (for example, type OldData) and then press ENTER.

Restart Word for the changes to take effect.

Note: This tweak will also clear the Most Recently Used (MRU) file list on the File menu.

LKW

My Office version is "11.0". I tried the registry edit you recommended and it still goes back to default. I guess I will try to repair the installation if I can. Thanks anyway.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts