1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2003 Upgrade: Has Anyone Seen This Error Message?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Jack1000, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

I recently upgraded from Office 97 Professional and went to Word 2003 with an upgrade disk. Things went very well and I am glad that I updated. But there is a lot of online help and in four instances when installing:

1.) The Installation itself

2.) The Office Assistant

3.) Word Perfect Help Files

4.) The Detect and Repair Diagnostic

I get this error message: (The print is small, best I can make out):

I will attach the file.

Clicking Ignore, and everything works, and if it comes up a second time as it did when I added the Office Assistant, clicking Ignore solves the problem and continues with the install. What do you think is the reason for this error message:

1.) Word 2003 is looking for a data set that is not offered on my original Office 97 Pro CD?

2.) The MS Access file relates to a library that is located in a higher version of Office or Word?

Does this file relate to the program MS Access, which is on pro versions of Office?

Thoughts?

I ran the repair diagnostic and this error could not be fixed. Have any of you seen this error before?

I also ran Windows Update and everything is patched and works.

Jack

Attached Files:

2. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Here is a MS Knowledge database article for further study: There are also issues related to Office that deal with the same type of error message:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324520

Basically, it says that Corel Word Perfect or any Corel product when removed from the system can cause the issue where an MDAC component can not be loaded. It tales about how this is an OS issue, and how XP users can install Windows XP SP-2, or download/install the MDAC 2.8 Data Component that fixes the missing values in the registry.

The problem is that when I do that, since I already have Windows XP SP-2 installed, it says that this component is not compatible with my OS. The other strange thing is that I got WordPerfect 12 preinistalled on my Dell, and have no recollection of removing anything from that program. I did install some update patches, but what laymen would think that a competing company would cause the removal of a data set for Office? Alternative workarounds are provided, but they may only be temporary. One is to hit Ignore when you see the error. (Maybe in this case, it gets the data library on-line as opposed to the disk.) Second would be to try hitting Retry several times.

The other thing about these MDAC components is that they are tied into registry values within the OS, and can not be removed. Instability can be caused if they are. I have chosen to wait for the release of Windows XP SP-3, which could possibly restore the missing MDAC data values to the registry. This may provide an easier alternative than for customers trying to mess around with the registry.

Jack

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice