1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2007 cannot open recovered files

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ittiandro, Apr 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ittiandro

ittiandro Thread Starter

I am unable to open Word 2007 .doc and .docx files recovered with Mini Tool Power Data Recovery and Easeus Data Recovery. I never had any problems before. These files are recovered from a USB external drive. I have always been able to open them before I accidentally deleted them.
    I have saved these recovered files with the Data Recovery software but when I try to open them with Word in Windows 7, I get a conversion prompt with illegible characters. It shows the encoding as Windows Default. None of the other conversion options works.
    after recovering them, some of these saved files showed in blue characters in the Windows Explorer. I found out it is because they were compressed, for some reasons. I unchecked the compression box in Properties, but still they don’t open. I also tried Office Viewer, unsuccessfully.I am on Windows 7

Can anybody help, please?

Thanks

2. gurutech

gurutech

What condition were the files in when you recovered them? Not sure about the mini tool, but I know the ease-us application shows what condition the file is in before recovery (ie. red/bad, yellow/ok, green/good). If it wasn't "green", then you may be experiencing issues with a corrupted file.

Also, were the files encrypted? If so, you will need to find a way to decrypt the files before you can open them in Word.

3. ittiandro

ittiandro Thread Starter

Thank you Gurutech
    I was able to find my two .doc files under their name, but I can't open them. Here is what I get when I try to open one of the two after saving it with Easeus :

AÚGx*Dz߃º\¬¶¶‚é»%]xdh墬P“ky¿uûóãÛŒ¶§(¬t*ký—áà7GY`{ÿ‡¢ÿn&Éÿa4¹º‹aOidè½Ê¨Â¦ã-À©¬Mí:|™( ymcÊÞ$Ä6¾›×y
    ŸáB^8ªhhè©
    +8¯ðì>6ü

This is all. It is surprisingly very short, because I know this Word file is about 15-20 pages long and probably more than 1 MB . Any idea how could I open it? I tried to open it online with http://www.viewdocsonline.com/document/2z2t14 but it shows the same scribble.
    There are a lot of other .doc files picked up by Easeus under RAW, but they bear no name, just a numerical title ( File 00001, etc). Some of them open with Office Viewer directly from within the Easeus application, but they are not what I need. There is no mention of their condition ( Green or other) in Easeus.
    Thanks

Ittiandro

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

If any data whatever has been written to the disk, you may well not be able to recover a file.
    You may have been lucky in the past.

5. valis

valis Moderator

I got to agree with Dave; IMO, that data is gone. If you didn't have a backup, you will need to recreate it.

6. ittiandro

ittiandro Thread Starter

But Easeus has been able to retrieve other old deleted files dating from 2008, even though the drive had been written over and/or deleted or the drive possibly formatted in the past!
    Is there anyway that that seeemingly encryptred scribble can be decrypted, even though I never encrypted files with word before? I tried the Remo software as well. It does not decrypt.the file.!

Thanks

Franco

7. valis

valis Moderator

Every time Easeus recovered that file, the file probably got worse and worse off. Now it's most likely shot. Did you have backup?

Those files aren't encrypted, they are just fouled up. Regardless, if they were encrypted, you would need the key to decrypt them. As you state that they are NOT encrypted, I'm going to guess 'no'.

thanks,

v

8. DaveBurnett

I'm sure that if you went to a rubbish dump and dug through the rubbish you would be able to find old magazines and newspapers that you could read some of the pages from.
    I know I've found magazines buried in my garden that must have been left by the builders of the houses on this estate some 50 years ago.

9. ittiandro

ittiandro Thread Starter

I think the analogy with a rubbish dump is not only facile, but also inappropriate.
    I agree that retrieving old magazines buried in your garden or in a rubbish dump and still being able to read them is the exception, an almost miraculous exception!. In my case, we are talking about something slightly more sophisticated (if you allow me the litotes): than a ..garbage dump: we are talking about a COMPUTER, Dave! And today's computer technology makes the retrieval of formatted drives and/or deleted files not only possible, but also a routine operation..And indeed, so far my experience is that I have ALWAYS been able to retrieve files from formatted partitions with Easeus or other software. Only this time it doesn't work . I am sure something has gone afowl with the software.
    Unfortunately I have no backup.
    Thanks for your comments anyway

Ittiandro

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sorry to break it to you, but recovering data files 100% intact is not routine or guaranteed. Success is never guaranteed in real life like on TV. In real life data loss is common and successful data recovery is not. Backups are your only reasonable protection.

You can try other data recovery tools, there's definitely no shortage of them, try Recuva or any one of these as another program may have better luck: http://listoffreeware.com/list-of-best-free-data-recovery-software/

11. DaveBurnett

We are still talking about something that was thrown away. In modern terms you wouldn't even get the chance because most rubbish firms shred or incinerate your scrap.
    It obviously WAS a good analogy since it got you thinking.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice