1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2007 footnote numbers

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by tito_john, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tito_john

tito_john Thread Starter

Searching this forum on the title and a few variations came up empty.

I am converting various styles of footnoting by authors of journal articles (some quite idiosyncratic) to APA style. Although time-consuming, the job is finished except for one remaining problem.

After converting the in-line citations to author-date format, I removed the footnotes by deleting them in the text. There are a few remaining footnotes (genuine footnotes that are explanations rather than references), but I am unable to convince Word to automatically renumber them. So in the text and in the footnotes themselves, the numbering goes 1, 3, 4, 5, 11, 12, 13, 16.

There are no sections in any of the papers.

I would appreciate some help. I'm not sure if I started out wrong by deleting the unnecessary in-line superscripted footnotes and the error is now irrecoverable, or if I just don't know how to force Word to renumber them -- or allow me to renumber them manually.

Thanks.

2. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi tito_john,
    If you go to the References tab and expand the Footnotes dialog, does the numbering say Continuous and is it applied to the whole document?

3. tito_john

tito_john Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, Wendy. Yes, it says continuous/whole document.

4. tito_john

tito_john Thread Starter

Bump...

5. WendyM

Do you happen to have tracked changes on? Sorry, I'm trying to eliminate the obvious reasons it might be happening first.

6. tito_john

tito_john Thread Starter

Yes, tracked changes are on, although I tried cleaning the document (inspect) and re-opening it. The footnotes were still not renumbered.

There may be another problem, though, that didn't strike me until some problems started to crop up this week in other formatting areas. Two of us are working on these documents. The other guy is using Korean-language Word 2007, and I'm using the English version. The authors are from around the world, and the document with the footnoting problem was created in the French version.

The other editor and I have found some oddities in document formatting (extra blank lines after paragraphs, etc., that crop up when we swap documents. Unless MS has assured users otherwise, could the footnote numbering issue just be one of several inconsistencies between language versions? I hope not, because I'm sure lots of corporate users create and share documents in different language sets.

7. WendyM

When you say you cleaned the document, do you mean you accepted all of the changes, or that you changed the view by showing the Final without any markup? You have to actually accept the changes for the footnotes to be renumbered.

I don't think the problem is with the language conversions, although anything is possible. But you removed the footnotes yourself and they didn't renumber, correct? It might be possible if they had been removed in the French or Korean version, but I would think that if you were the one who deleted them, they should renumber automatically.

8. tito_john

tito_john Thread Starter

Sorry for the slow response. In addition to editing the journal (it's been printed, and the page designer manually fixed the footnotes), it's the end of the semester in a writing class I'm teaching and I'm swamped with 10-page final papers.

I'm not sure of the terminology...sorry. When I said "cleaned the document," I meant that I used the Inspect function in the main menu at the upper left and removed all the markups and comments. I was under the impression that doing that would lock in all the changes made up to that point.

In general, do I have to go in actively and "accept" editing changes that someone else makes? I know I can accept or reject them (either my own or other people's) by right-clicking on the individual edit boxes on the right side of the document, but I assumed that the editing changes would be made in the current document if I didn't reject them.

In the footnotes case, I was the one (not the original author during his review of the editing) who removed a lot of the footnotes, replacing them with APA inline citations. I couldn't get the remaining ones to renumber automatically. So I share your bafflement as to why it didn't work.

If anything else comes to mind, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

The other formatting differences (problems) seem to be in the area of extra blank lines and paragraph spacing. After some reflection, I guess that's probably related more to the default document templates that the guy using Korean Word and I with US English Word are using, rather than to any differences in the language version. When the rush abates, I'm going to ensure that both of us have exactly the same default template, or figure out how to force documents into the template we want. I know you can do that, but I just have to read a little more.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027950

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice