1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2007 hanging indent in lists

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Guyote, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guyote

Guyote Thread Starter

I've tried everything, but to no avail. Here's the problem: When using an autonumbered list in Word 2007, you automatically get a hanging indent. That's not what I want.

What I want is for Word to align my lists with the left margin, like so:

1. This is what I want.
    2. This is what I want.

I type lots of documents daily, each containing several numbered lists. I can jiggle the sliders in the ruler to get it to work, but as soon as I leave that list, type some text and then start a new list I'm back to the default hanging indent again. Square one.

I want to make my numbered lists align with the left margin by default, so that when I open Word 2007 for work I'm ready to go. I'd certainly welcome any suggestions as this is making me crazy. There has to be a way to do this, but after buying two books and searching the internet I can't find it.

Thanks for any help.

G

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Click on the down arrow next to the button instead of the button itself. Select "Define new number format."

You will be able to take it from there. Don't forget to save your format style if you intend to use it again.

Courtney

3. Guyote

Guyote Thread Starter

Hi CourtneyC

Thanks for trying to help. When I bring up "define new number format" it still doesn't want to let me change the hanging indent. I can change the font, the numbering style, either left/right/center alignment. But that hanging indent seems carved in stone and will not move to the left margin.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong? This just can't be that hard to do. I don't want to have to move the ruler widgets every single time I have a numbered list to type, which is easily over 100 times a day.

Thanks very much for your suggestion.

G

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice