1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2007 How to Create Default Pg # Header in Multiple Docs?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by panamahat, Mar 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Hi:

I copy a lot of documents as I research. They all have different titles (obviously) and I file them in different document folders according to subject (i.e. Plot, Character Development, Pacing, etc.). I also print them out and put them in notebooks with similarly designated tabs. For ease of reading, I like to put my own title (or sometimes the author's, if it's short enough) followed by the page number in the header on the right. It looks like this:​

Hero's Fatal Flaw, Page 4​

To make this happen, I currently:
    1. Go to Insert
    2. Click Page #
    3. Click Top of Page
    4. Scroll down to Plain #3
    5. Click Plain #3
    6. Click in the Header
    7. Click Control V to enter my text or manually enter it. (Sometimes, if I've planted the cursor just right, I can position the text in front of the page number; otherwise, it ends up left aligned and I have to go through additional steps on the Home tab to right align it. In this case, I also have to delete the extra line that's gratuitously thrown in at the end.)
    8. Hit Back Arrow to position the cursor after the last character (for some reason, an extra space is also gratuitously put in)
    9. Type , space Page
    10. Click Close Header/Footer or Double Click in the document

Doing all these steps on hundreds of documents really takes its toll. There must be a way to streamline it and create some sort of template across multiple documents.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Any help much appreciated.
    Jane

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Create a new Word template, perform steps 1 through 6 the Save As a .dotm file, because page numbering is considered a Macro so your template must be Macro enabled.
    So you will create a new document using that template, when it opens you will just type in your custom text and complete the remainder of the steps. Probably someone who is slick with VBA can write the macro so that it will ask for the custom text and once you submit, it will automate the rest of the steps for you.

3. panamahat

panamahat Thread Starter

Hi CleaverX:

Wow, is that all there is to it? But, seriously, I think this is WAY above my skill level. Where do I find someone slick with VBA? And, uhm, what exactly is that?

Thanks for trying to help me. This tells me I really do need to improve my technical skills.

Jane

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice