1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2007--Insert Symbol frozen--can't click on characters

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mightyninth, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mightyninth

mightyninth Thread Starter

I recently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7--no problems there. However, after the upgrade, I noticed that the 'insert symbol' dialog accessed from the pull down menu in Word 2003 seemed frozen. Today, I upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2007 (not to correct that one problem; just needed to for work). Everything's working fine, except the insert symbol dialog. This leads me to think it might be a Windows 7 problem, but since it is occurring with Word, I chose this forum.

Here's the problem: When I attempt to insert a symbol, the Symbol dialog box appears, but the characters do not respond to clicks of the mouse. I can select a character or symbol using the arrow keys on the keyboard, but after inserting one character, the whole thing freezes up--can't click on a character and arrows don't work. If I then click on the tab 'Special Characters' and then click back on the tab 'Symbols', I can then use the arrow keys again, but only to select and insert one character. Then it refreezes, and I have to do the whole Special Characters-to-Symbols-and-back dance to unfreeze the thing. I can mouse click on all the other buttons in the Symbol dialog box, just not the character map. Speaking of which, I have put the Character Map from the System Tools folder on my taskbar. I can select symbols and characters from the Map by clicking, but it is a cumbersome procedure. I am a technical writer (medical), and I use a lot of symbols. Can anyone help me fix this?
    If you know a fix you can email me directly at [email protected]. Thank you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/902215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice