1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2007 long document, crashes

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ktorgers, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ktorgers

ktorgers Thread Starter

I have XP, Microsoft Home/Student 2007. I'm working on a long Word document (about 160 pages) that contains review comments: only about 10, but about 10 reviewers are named in the reviewers tab. The file crashes consistently when I navigate to a tracked change, show/hide reviews, make an edit, save the document. I've defragged the hard disk. I've re-created the normal.dotm template. I've looked at the paging size. I've tried running diagnostics and repairing the file. I'm not having the problem with shorter documents. The document was created in the version I have at work, Word 2007 enterprise. :( Any advice?

2. Bradybunch

Bradybunch

Try reinstalling Office?? and finding all the latest updates. Sounds a bit wierd, Have you tried doing the same on a different PC?

3. ktorgers

ktorgers Thread Starter

I tried the "repair" option from the disc; that took a long time. Then restarted everything. The problem is still there. The file is usable at work, so there's some glitch somewhere along the line. I'll try a total de-install. It looks like I have some old folders for Office 10, Office 11, etc. that weren't removed when upgrading. I'm tempted to leave those alone though. I'll also look at the spell checker. I can't use Dorland's Med Spell checker with the latest versions of word but it looks like the only spell checker being used is "custom.dic".
    --kt

4. Bradybunch

Bradybunch

Id Clear up any other Old Office based Programs. You might find things could conflict with others, but id defonatly take office off completely, and re install it again. Make sure you restart the pc after installing and reinstalling, and pull down the latest microsoft updates. once your at that stage, let me know how your getting on.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/861959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice