1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Word 2010 doesn't associate with previous doc files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dj29464, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dj29464

dj29464 Thread Starter

I have windows vista 64, and recently installed / upgraded to office 2010, and am having trouble opening previous doc files from the file itself. i have tried the typical fix: right click - open with - choose default program - browse, but cannot find the program. on a previous post, one subscriber said to look in program files - office 2010 - office 12 - winword.exe but i could not find that file either. when i open the office 12 folder, i get 1033 folder and then nothing after that.

i also tried going to control panel - default programs - set associations any help would be appreciated.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Does Word 2010 open?

3. dj29464

dj29464 Thread Starter

Yes - the program itself opens, and I can access/open the .doc files that way, but there are lots of previous files, in different folders, and just want to be able to click on the file to open it. thx.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Everyone Office 2010 install I've done has associated .DOC files with Word. You're saying your DOC files don't have a Word icon and don't open in Word when you double-click them?

5. dj29464

dj29464 Thread Starter

Yes, that is correct. at present, if i right click on a doc file, and choose properties, wordicon is the default program - i have tried to select a different one (using the browse option) but, again, cannot locate the word program.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

WordIcon.exe is its own executable, so my guess is someone already tried to change the file associations and screwed it up.

Word.exe is in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\Word.exe.

7. dj29464

dj29464 Thread Starter

ok - then i'm still at a loss - the only files under office 14: 1033, and MSOHTMED

do i need to reinstall? the only reason i upgraded to office 2010 was because the previous version just stopped working, couldn't acess anything, so maybe there's a problem somewhere else.

any other suggestions? thanks for your time.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What version did you upgrade from? Did you install the 32-bit or the 64-bit version? You probably upgraded from a 32-bit version, and I suspect something didn't go right. I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the 64-bit version.

If you installed the 32-bit version, then the executable would be in:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\Word.exe

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972809